• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW RURAL IS RURAL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The land is not "yours." No matter what the deed says, or what taxes you are paying on it. It was there long before you, and will be there long after you are returned to the dirt it is made from.
You are simply its steward, it's caretaker. Take care of it.
I agree in so many ways. My property borders a mountain- I am friends with two guys that “own” that mountain. It boggles my mind when I think, how can someone own a mountain? (or any land); you can’t take it with you when you go. Indeed, we’re just caretakers of the land, which in fact would be better off without us.

Stumpkiller, it sounds idyllic with one exception.......it's still here in NY.
True. But parts of my family have been in New York State since it was New Amsterdam, and NO ONE is chasing me off. ;-). The resources are outstanding. The cities and politicians are . . . corrupted.

The land is not "yours." No matter what the deed says, or what taxes you are paying on it. It was there long before you, and will be there long after you are returned to the dirt it is made from.
Humans of the Homo Sapiens Sapiens variety have not been on Earth long enough to perhaps even leave a lasting fossil. We are a flash in the pan at what is, perhaps helped by us, the Sixth Great Extinction Event. In the five +/- billion years of Earth as a formed planet we are hardly a footnote so far at 200,000 years +/-. Maybe 0.005% of Earth's history includes creatures like us. Geologically, humans are nothing in Earth's memory. Lets hope we start doing the right things and maybe we make it as a species or parent of species. As you say, we do not own the Earth. We are like fleas on a dog.

WOW. What country I can only dream of I am 17 miles from centre of London on 1/3 of an acre , but I can shoot pigeons and squirrels with a pcp bsa Scorpio. I was 81 22 March no longer will the police allow me to shoot real guns . Got woods across the road on a big hill with occasion deer , if I shoot any with my compound bow , probably get 3-5 in prison. Ha ha. If you want deer, road kill can be common out in the country We are not a gunny country

"We are not a gunny country", the once great Britain use to be a Gun country, no slight intended I grieve at times for the Brits; and thank God my forebears emmigrated from Scotland to Australia in 1847.

We live in eastern Ohio applachia. Have 60 wooded acres out on a gravel road about 1 1/2 mile off of a paved road. We live 1/4 off of the gravel road back in the woods.
I have a 200 yard shooting range down on the other road.
Wildlife is a abundant as is peace and tranquility. In these days I would rather be surrounded by animals than most people. Times have changed, when we go to town which is about 20 miles away I can’t wait to get back home to decompress. Times today sure is a mess!!!

"In these days I would rather be surrounded by animals than most people."

Yep I'm of the same ilk brother.

Attachments

• Spishy and Co.JPG
    Spishy and Co.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
I agree in so many ways. My property borders a mountain- I am friends with two guys that “own” that mountain. It boggles my mind when I think, how can someone own a mountain? (or any land); you can’t take it with you when you go. Indeed, we’re just caretakers of the land, which in fact would be better off without us.

Land can be owned.....ask one Bill Gates.

If more people adopted this concept you would never see one lick of trash anywhere

Add to that the factor that if you don’t continue to pay those taxes, the infernal revenuers will take away from you. It’s like a forever mortgage.

Rural? Not according to government statistics. If I remember right sometime in the 1980s they changed rural to non urban to describe those of us not in larger towns or cities. It always irked me. We were classified by what we weren’t rather than what we were.
I am quite proud to be called "Non-Urban". At least they got it part right. That's saying alot for our government.

Yes! You did. Just spotted this post. How you doin'?

The day one of the local carnivirous miliflori-roses caught and tried to eat one of your beagles.

View attachment 308007
Doing pretty good now. I had a heart attack almost a year ago that set me back, but pretty much back to normal.
We moved out of NYS, into the northern Pocono mountains of PA & spend winters (after hunting season) in Florida.
Did you retire yet?

I live about a mile from a small city on a few acres. On the northside, and west side are woods. Also on the east side a cross the road is a woods and field where a horse and a donkey live. On the south side is a field on the other side of is my closest neighbor. My deer stand is set up behind my garage and not at all unusual to have a dozen deer on the backside of my property. We are visited and live with all kinds of animals. Just the other morning we were sitting in the dining room when two deer came walking by. Used to have a racoon that lived above the garage, we enjoyed seeing her babies every year but she got evicted last year after she cost me $1200 dollars to repair the wiring she decided to destroy. Used to have a wild turkey who would come down and run back and forth along the fence while our two small dogs would chase her. Wish we had more land but do enjoy what we have.

My oldest lives on a city lot in a small New England City, population 55k or so.
But his back yard backs up to a designated green area and across the street an unused Mobile Oil tank farm, because deer and turkeys thrive in these settings deer and turkeys are frequent visitors. He finally gave up feeding the birds as the turkeys were scratching his yard to bare dirt. His wife, green thumb yard person can’t keep certain shrubbery and plants.
Of course this draws coyotes and results in road kills several times a year on his street and the nearby express way.

Doing pretty good now. I had a heart attack almost a year ago that set me back, but pretty much back to normal.
We moved out of NYS, into the northern Pocono mountains of PA & spend winters (after hunting season) in Florida.
Did you retire yet?
Yep. Two years ago. Almost all of the bull. . . snot has been expelled from my system and we are living the fat & lazy retired life. Bigger gardens, newer tractor (with pallet forks and a front-end loader . . . Wheeee!), 25 chickens and three Guinea fowl (and an Airedale that is about as handy a hunting dog as a chainsaw on crack would be), and I'm teaching myself to cook on a Blackstone grill, and just futzing around in the kitchen (mostly getting in The Admiral's way) a lot to amuse myself. Made a killer batch of biscuits and white sausage gravy last week. Almost up to critical standard. Twelve of us neighbors got together in February and processed 650 lbs of pork shoulder into four kinds of sausage. Loving the life of leisure.

Latest posts

Back