• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How often do you sharpen flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen: If you have to knapp, the lock is not set up correctly.
Surely you jest Sir. :shake:
Ever messed with original English flint locks much? The Oldtimers seem to disagree with your theories. :winking:

Never ever? Wow!

I use a "desperation method" of refreshing a flint in the jaws rapidly that is called "Hammering the Frizzen".

I'll warn you that this may be rough on the frizzen, but it's been done for centuries.

Set the gun on your lap or cradle it in your arms. With the gun unloaded, pull the cock to full cock and then manually lower it as the trigger is pulled (or, just start at the full-down position after shooting). Gently close the frizzen over the flint and then draw back the cock until just the last 1/16" or less of the flint is below the heel of the frizzen. Press down hard on the frizzen. The pressure on the flint will spall off pieces from the underside (this works MUCH better with bevel down flints, but will work either way).

As a historical note, when the Brittish were supplying troops in the Americas during the revolution they shipped one flint for about every 15 shots of powder and ball.
For myself it is a good parade if I can go through a full box of 20 shots on one flint. I usually have to flip, knapp or replace a flint on the parade. Its a bad parade when I go through both my spare fints!

"That which doesn't destroy me only leaves crippled, bitter, and seeking revenge."

I read an article about using lead to hold the flint instead of leather so I made a few out of rb's and started using them. No need to sharpen flints any more because they self knapp each shot. I guess the leather makes it hop off the face of the frizzen and then it fills up with steel; but the lead makes it dig into the frizzen. They are black english flints. Seem to work better for me. It a keeper.

on advice of friends I started using a flattened lead ball in place of flint leather...I don't see any difference, nor any advantage to one method over the other, and have gone back to using a leather. Hank

I suspect the different results between mossie and Hank is because of the lock geometry of their two guns. If the lock geometry is wrong, it doesn't much matter what you wrap the flint in.

I am no expert, but since I found this discussion about this very thing on tuning the flint lock and napping the flint and thought it was great. Others may disagree who know best, but I want to pass it along, since it wasn't mentioned:
Tuning Flint Locks/knapping

Back