• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how much cotton?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Gents, hereabouts a couple of weeks ago or such someone was talking about using cotton balls for wadding when he has no flax tow, and I thought I'd like to try that. Before I go off clueless though, I wonder if anyone might guess at a starting place for the number of pure cotton balls you'd start with over powder then again over shot?

As a Canuck, let me say, Thanks eh? :haha:

Don't use cotton balls they are a serious fire hazzard. In a pinch I have used green leaves off of trees. It works great. Just don't leave your gun loaded for a long while.

That was probably me. I used cotton balls at the range one day when I had no tow. I don't know that it would be any more of a fire hazard than tow. Of course a little bit of lube should take care of that.

To answer your question, I used one whole cotton ball under and over a .610 ball. That would also work with shot.

Thanks Gents. I also wonder about the fire hazard thing as I can't see it being worse than tow or wasp nest but I'll try it at the range first. Of course up here, you'd only need to worry about it in Summer as the other three seasons are cold and raining, cold and just stopped raining, cold and going to rain soon, and damn cold and snowing like a b----.

I think you solved your problem dont shoot in the summer. I liked that post got me to smile. :grin:

Make sure its 100% cotton or your bore may have melted man made material stuck to it. Happened to me and I had to use steel wool and lots of shooting to burn it out :cursing:

Thanks fellers, yep, my cotton is au naturel. Also like the unraveled jute idea. Hemp rope should work too?

Back