• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you folks can just walk out your door...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Person, I have a cabin in Rochester, Vt. that my wife and I bought last year. Just down the road a bit from Randolph. Only on one acre but surrounded by the Green Mountain National Forest. Trout stream across the street. We have been vacationing in Vermont for over 30 years and love it. Wife was born in Burlington. Can shoot anytime I want right out the door.

Back to the original post I too can shoot out of my back door. Also have 450 acres with a hunt camp 5 miles away so luckily I can shoot wherever I hang my hat.

Dave

Short Arm, was out your way a couple years back hunting black bear...what a beautiful town and the surrounding country was tempting to settle in permanent like...my brother and I often talk of buying a small house there so we can hunt and fish!

It is not uncommon for me to shoot from my deck. Some few years ago I had not gotten an elk by the last day due to really bad weather so I loaded my rifle and set it beside the front door thinking a big bull will come by here today. Sure enough about 2PM I looked out and not over 45 yards from the door stood 5 six point bulls. I picked up the rifle, disarmed it and put it in the cabinet. I just can't shoot game without a hunt.

Used to see moose like that in my front yard. Not any more. Wolves have taken care of em.

I just can't shoot game without a hunt.

:thumbsup: HOWEVER....had there been a Cow I would have had a gut pile to haul to the dumpster! I am a meat hunter 98% of the time!

I can walk out my back door and shoot whenever I want..I recently shot a motherboard from my old computer. My first shot sent an odd spark from the metal component..second did as well..actually anytime there was a hit there was a spark. I had not seen that before..but it was the first time I ever shot up a Computer component..

I still can, but must watch shot angle. Houses grew up around us, but 100's of yards away. Enough city folk that will call the police "cuz they heard a gun shot". Funny thing is, I hear shots at night quite often :idunno:

Dave Person said:
Hi Mike,
I can step out my house, my shop, or my balconey and have a clear 80-100 yard shot to my berm. My berm is dirt over logging slash and is planted with wildflowers to prevent erosion. In summer it is a riot of color. I only shoot paper to prevent a mess to clean up but I have 2 artificial pink flamingos that will be sacrificed next Thanksgiving in a turkey (flamingo) shoot. In fall my range has a spectacular view.

dave

P1011152_zps1e130451.jpg

P1040404_zps8976cd56.jpg

ShopConstruction201313_zps16c3158c.jpg

mybackyardatdawnfall20133_zps447cbce8.jpg

meandBaichtalsgun_zps81f3a908.jpg

absolutely beautiful!!!

HERE IN WESSTERN n/C I HAVE NO PROBLEM IN SHOOTING IN MY BACK YARD . WHEN I BOUGHT THIS PRPERTY IT HAD A STANDARD BOILER PLATE DEED WITH CUSTOMARY LIMITATIONS I RE-WROTE THE DEED TO BE SURE I COULD SHOOT A GUN ON THE PRPERTY I CAN'T I MAMGINE LOVNG FREEDOM AND LIVING IN mASS
hANK

I can and have shot out of both the front and back doors. I grew up in North central Indiana, moved to Florida for work, and retired to our 27 acre paradise in South central Tennessee. I have a feeder 30 yards out the back door that is visited daily by deer, turkeys and squirrels, bur my wife won't let me shoot them because she feeds them. I would not be surprised if she gives them names, LOL.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be able to do that as a kid. Lots of groundhogs got shot from the second floor bedroom window.

Been living in more restricted environments since then. Kind of miss it.

No problem shooting here. I live in the center of three farms. My brother and myself own and farm the land. As was said before if you can't pee off your porch you need to move. :grin:

Larry

I can, I live in the interior of Northern B.C. Canada. I do however have to walk across the road onto Crown land and walk back in 100 meters before shooting. I can hunt back in there, as we have Moose, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Cougar, and all sorts of other critters. I have a resident sow close to the house that gives birth to one or 3 cubs every year and they sure are cute. I got my moose two years ago about 10 miles from the house and my hunting partner got his about 3 miles from our homes. Ya gotta like that. I also have a lake in my back yard that is 10 miles long 3 miles wide and is full of 1 to 3lb rainbow trout and huge lake trout going over 35pounds along with huge ling cod. Like one poster said,"If ya cant pee of yur front porch its time to move :thumbsup:

Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Did the Indians put U here? Twernt Mormons.

Ya I can pee in the back yard and shoot there too! Got a 300 yard range complete with target shed and benches.

For fun shoots we freeze water in milk jugs and balloons. Remove the plastic and set them on wood fence posts out to as far as you want to shoot. Instant crushed ice and no target to clean up after shot.
Permanent targets at 60, 218, and 400 yards.
Can shoot any direction from house deck.

"1- To cut open a 44 gal drum with a 9" angle grinder at midnight, if I want to.

2- Walk out of doors at any time of night or day & take a slash.

3- fire a 308 win off the front porch & no one calls the cops."

???

I live in a suburb 3 blocks from the Detroit city limit. My Detroit neighbors do all of those things and it's not a rural area.

W :shocked2: W I never realized that Detroit is such a great place to live. :wink:
O.

Smollett said:
...and snap off a shot? Here just outside of Boston, there aren't too many places to just do that... legally that is. I'd love to hear from the country folk among us who have the luxury to relax in their own yard and plink to their heart's content, all without having to pay a fee or march to some board's range rules. Where do you shoot? What are some of the neat things you've destroyed (not referring to living things) and what happened when the ball/shot hit?

I can only imagine what a .76 ball could do to an old computer monitor or TV set..

Smollett
40 years ago lived across the river from you. Shot 100's of gray squirrels from the house with blue streak pellet gun.

Escaped to the White Mountains and shoot of the front and rear decks any caliber. At night I use an unmentionable item and no one hears it (legally owned)just to keep peace with neighbors the closest is 500 yrds away.

All the neighbors shoot at times and who cares I am just being polite.

I lived in Dallas, now in the rural south of Sulphur Springs. And in the process of befriending neighbors, we'd shoot up a storm. Now that I actually live out here, I've shot maybe twice in a month. Once was for fun, the other was to rid us of opossums in the garbage.

Back