• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you tell a Pieta from a Uberti ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2175m4

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought a clean, used 1860 colt army, no box, no papers, cannot tell if it's a uberti or pieta, brass trigger guard, color case hardened frame and ram rod, blue barrel

does anyone know how to distinguish the two ?

I just bought a clean, used 1860 colt army, no box, no papers, cannot tell if it's a uberti or pieta, brass trigger guard, color case hardened frame and ram rod, blue barrel

If all the proof marks and letters are under the rammer it is a Uberti.
If they are all over the side flats it is a Pietta.

Pietta will either have Pietta spelled out on it and or a FAP inside a diamond. Early Uberti made for navy Arms had a G.U. on them and later a U inside an octagon.

Last edited:

Pietta will either have Pietta spelled out somewhere on the barrel (top, bottom, or side) and or a FAP inside a diamond. Could be scroll or block letters inside the diamond. These could be in a few different places including the botton on the grip strap.

Early Uberti made for Navy Arms had a G.U. on them and later a U inside an octagon either on the underside of the barrel, right side barrel flat by the wedge, left side of the frame, or top of the barrel with an A. Uberti. If Pietta or Uberti made for a specific importer like Navy Arms or other the maker mark was put in these different places according to the importer. Have seen a few pistols with the makers mark in several different places and even more than one place..

Last edited:

I know what you mean as I picked up an early 62 Police from Navy ARMs and had to look all over it before finally noticing a small, lightly impressed, Uberti stamp on the lower right front of the receiver.

No natter te maker you will have fun with it.

Did post #4 end the thread?
I sometimes get tired of recycled post and totaly under stand how you feel. I also have reposted things I couldn't recall posting? If I am having trouble imagine a newbie. I am willing to cut him some slack if he will cut me some! LOL!

It may not be either as a whole gaggle of foreign companies have made the model and some only put their stamp on it somewhere especially when making it for another distributor like Navy Arms.

Back