• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you like your horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you like your horns? Heavily embellished with scrimshaw , just a bit of scrimshaw or plain and simple.
I'm getting ready to build a few and was curious how folks prefer theirs.

My southern horn made by Mike Small.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
How do you like your horns? Heavily embellished with scrimshaw , just a bit of scrimshaw or plain and simple.
Simple, for my use, with one small brass star and a little carving on the plug. I do however appreciate good scrimshaw. Not to be confused with scratching the horn like a wanaby artist. Don't get me wrong a feller has to start somewhere, but scratching isn't scrimshaw IMO.
Larry

When I go to a m/l gun show , and a horn supply guy is there , I pick ugley , bent small unique ones . Sometimes they bring pre flattened ones I like. I buy some of those kind too. The small horns , fit under a generous size flap on bags I make up , to keep them out of rainy weather. I've been priviledged to chase deer in the late season Pa. flint lock hunt. Weather can be nice , or really nasty at the 2600 Ft. high mountains , and those small ugly horns serve me well. I am a utilitarian horn maker. I couldn't do scrimshaw , if I tried. Rifle art , yea , horns , no.

I like scrimshaw one of my builds . The inscription says old bear on each end and old bear in Sue in the center.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I like mine with worked spouts; lobes, facets, that sort of thing, maybe a hand whittled stopper, a domed butt plug with a staple, and simple, geometric designs scrimshawed at the base of the horn, & a capacity suitable for an early trade gun.

Italian horn.

I'm fine with plastic stuff.... carbon fiber..
Could it be made?

They make a plastic thing for car keys..

It's there anything in Africa that works?

My favorites are simple, curved and have some folk art on them; although I love a double curved horn.
I don't hold with many people's idea of a right hand carry; however. I go with what I learned from Roland Cadle back in the 1970's. A right hand horn comes from the right side of the animal's head.
I don't like the spout pointing in and down as you lean over or kneel.
A right hand or left hand horn can be adapted to be carried on either side.

Back