• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you lighten sear spring pressure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirejohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you grind the entire spring surface, just the bottom flat that contacts the sear, just the apex of the V or what? What pitfalls other than temper should I be aware of?
My tradegun has a trigger pull of over 5lbs. with the sear spring in place and 3lbs. without, and I'd like to lighten the pull to about 3lbs.

Lots of things work together to give a trigger pull weight. Sounds like you're on the right track as far as diagnosis, but 5 pounds itself is a decent trigger weight for a smoothbore, especially one designed for gloved hands!

I try to make sure the sear spring is close to the pivot but not impinging on the sear "boss" the screw goes through. Then stone both surfaces till highly polished. Assuming that is done, you may stone the working arm of the sear in a tapered fashion from the curve to the tip. If you've got a micrometer, measure the thickness and reduce the thickness of the working arm by about 10% and see how that changes the pull. But I'd do all the thinning toward the tip, keeping the curve as it is for strength.

I'd not go below 4 pounds for a smoothbore but that's personal preference. I'm happy with 4 pounds on a hunting rifle with a simple trigger, if it's crisp and has little travel before "breaking".

Thanks Rich - I took your advice and honed the spring down so that now the trigger pull is just under 4#. I think I'll leave it right there :thanks:

Latest posts

Back