• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I store a wooden keg for water?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a 5 gal. wooden keg for water, for the longer rendezvous. It is wax lined and the first time I used it, it leaked all over the place. I left it full of water for acouple of days and it stopped leaking. We used it all summer and it never leaked again. My question is, how is the best way of storage for the winter when I'm not useing it? Drain all the water out of it or leave some in it? Eldo.

Store the wooden keg FULL of water, so it keeps the wood seams swelled up, particularly over the dry winters. Store it indoors where the water won't freeze, and damage the wood.

In the spring, before taking it to the next Rendezvous, or event, pour out the water, and fill it with fresh water, if you intend to drink the water. If the water is for washing dishes, you can use the stuff that sat all winter, wood dyes, acids, etc. included. If you want wooden pails or " buckets" to hold water, fill them with water also, and store full in a above freezing location. Check them every month and add water as needed. YOu can put a drop of bleach in the water to kill algae.

Thank you for the information. This is a great sight, get lots of help from everyone. Thanks again. Eldo

Back