• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How big can i go on my renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garry robinson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 50 calibre renegade barell one inch of course but i wonder if it could be reamed and rifled to a .58? I called Hoyt and he said going to a 20 gauge smooth bore eas no problem but I'm wondering if i could have that done safely .., out to 58 cal i mean. Any of you all ever done it ?

Easier and cheaper to buy a used .54 Renegade barrel on one of the auction sites. The .530 round ball has been proven to be more than enough lead for any big game in North America.

But if money isn't a problem and you like to play, I bet you could go to a rifled .58. I've seen factory barrels in that size and caliber, so why not? Find a local gunsmith and ask them.

Hoyt did a rusted out 54 Renegade barrel for me to 20 smooth; aka 62cal. 58 is less than 62, :idunno:
The limiting factor with the TC barrels is the depth of the holes drilled and tapped for the sight and rail.
They aren't all the same and each barrel has to be measured.
If you spoke to Bobby Hoyt, why didn't you ask him?

A 62 smooth is removing more metal than a 58 rifled, so yeah. And in fact it's pretty common to go to 58 in the Renegade.

As for expense, you can almost certainly rebore to 58 for less than buying a 54.

I'm a 58 cal fan. You certainly won't regret stepping up beyond 54 if you're looking for more oomph.

I have indeed. had a 30 inch .50 roundball TC barrel reamed and rifled to .58 by bob hoyt.was very pleased with the outcome.price and turnaround time were very reasonable

I never asked about going to a 58 but we were talking at the time of going to a 20 gauge smooth and he said a tc barell was no problem. The 58 thing just came in my head. I have all kinds of hair brained ideas. But according to Mr Hoyt there's not a lot you cant do with a tc cause they've got the best steel

He offerd to work mine in between jobs to take it to 62 for i think if i remember right 65 dollars plus at the time i really wanted a flint and he said hed put in a breech all for a little less than a hundred. I never sent it yet cause i four a 62 green mountain brand new for 175 and just grabbed it. Its percussion Hes reasonable and a dang nice guy too

Mooman76 said:
garry r said:
I really dont need a 58 i just wanted something odd and something to make a BIG hole lol

%* will do the job. I have a 58 and it is no more than 1". Might even be less like 15/16. I'll have to check.

Yeah, the barrel making world have lawyered up. No one that I know of will make a 58 cal on anything smaller than a 1" barrel.

But I have an older Investarms that's 58 cal with a 15/16" barrel. Sweetest handling and carrying gun you can imagine, but with one exception.

I also have a TC Hawken with a custom 26" 58 cal barrel tapered from 1 1/8" to 15/16" at the muzzle. Shifts the weight waaaaaay back between your hands so it handles like a 5# grouse gun, even though it weighs around 8#. A true marvel for fast shooting in close cover, but next to worthless for deliberate offhand shooting at the range.

I just checked mine. It is 15/16". It is an older Investarms (Cabelas) and came with a 50 cal barrel also, so probably why they mad it smaller so both could fit the stock. Maybe they made the barrel steel stronger or recommended slightly lower loads I don't really know. I bought it used in Alaska 20 years ago at a gunshow.

Mooman76 said:
...or recommended slightly lower loads....

I tracked down an original manual and they top out at 100 grains of 2f, so yeah. Can't find it right now, or I'd provide more detail.

Compare that with the TC Big Boar (1") with a top load listing for round ball (279 grains) of 120 grains of 2f. That number seems squishy to me, cuzz they list the same max for the 560 grain conical.

In any case, my Investarms is perfectly happy with 90 grains of 3f, even if the trajectory is a little loopy for my tastes. Some reason it simply hates any 2f combo I've tried.

My renegade is a one inch . I now have three barells for it a rust 50 that was the cantidate for teaming and a good 54 us a 62 new one . I know this is the wrong place maybe but i dont need the 50 so you know the rest.

bobby hoyt has done 3 barrels for me. I have had no problems. he is a machinised and knows his trade. if he says yes he means it. price was 1/3 of buying a barrel.

It suprised me how cheap it was. And how fast he said hed get to it. But now that found the smoothbore barell i was wanting i dont need to do it i geuss. It's still a shoot able barell. I geuss i need to put it on classifieds and let someone else get some use out of it. I have other .50 s so i dont need it

Back