• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How about some Horseradish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never grew it, but always relished it on various meats....beef brisket and ham especially....it's now too strong for my tastes. So, I buy a good brand of horseradish sauce which still clears your nose, but doesn't "take over". Tried Kraft horseradish sauce and it's got too much mayo. My favorite is Woeber's .....Fred

My mother made a horseradish & beet combo that was milder than straight HR. Wish I'd got her recipe for that.

Can't remember which company makes cranberry horseradish. Kind of sweet, tart and hot all at the same time.

My grandmother used to take a teaspoon of horseradish every morning before she did anything else. She lived to be 99+ years old. She and her brother used to make their own. I have heard that longer it is exposed to air the hotter it gets.

It is good with potatoes, meats, soups and an additive to some relishes

Many farmers around here don't want the stuff near their place as it is near impossible to kill off.

Been growing it for years. Old school, I peel it and use a knuckle bustin box grater!
Just a tad of white vinegar. It starts off hot the first day and mellows as it ages. I don't add salt until I use it. I was taught that salt quickens the mellowing process. We don't want that.
Mix our own hot oriental mustard from powder as well. Combine the two and it will take your head off. :shocked2:

Never started from seeds.

I just buy a root from the store in fall or spring and chop into sections and plant in the ground.

Or dig an existing root in the spring and do the same.

Johnny's Seeds or Fedco seeds sell the roots. Stick em in well fertilized ground and walk away. You will never be free of it again.
If you want some fun, grow it in half barrels. In the fall you can dump them out, take what you need and put the rest back in the barrel. Easy.
I've had garden h.r. that went down 36". That's a tough dig.

Years back there was an ol' boy in town that had a big garden mostly potatoes with a small patch of horseradish in one corner....One year he tilled up the HR with a big tiller and spread the horseradish almost full length of the garden (150')

I use an electric blender with the lid on tight to grind my horseradish. I'm sure it is almost HC. In the past I've used a meat grinder, but that was a sad way to do it. I cried a bunch.

Not the real stuff, I don't think you can even get it in the U.S.
I have had the fake stuff they call wasabi, but I'm pretty sure it's just colored horseradish.

I like homemade horseradish, It's like snorting a bumblebee soaked in kerosene.

Horseradish is the secret ingredient for a good Bloody Mary

Back