• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornady vs Speer ball quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a big difference. At my local Sportsman's Warehouse, a box of 100 Speer .457 round balls was $10.99 and the same box of Hornady balls was $16.99. I guess you know which box came home with old Bill.

Similar prices at Sportsmans Warehouse here as well. Not quite as big a gap though. Speer runs $11.99 and Hornady runs $14.99.

Still $3 saved is roughly half the cost of a tin of caps.

I've used both brands of swaged RBs and when buying both just mike one RB to see if they're the caliber stated on the box....no further inspections are done.

I don't target shoot but my .45 loads w/ swaged RBs have head hit 100s of squirrels and this is sufficient accuracy for me.

When I was into bench rest shooting w/ my 20 lb .22/250 w/ an 18x Unertl "scope, I weighed and miked every component and at times shot flies crawling on the target....this was at 100 yds. The 5 shot groups at 100 yds easily fitted nicely into a dime.

So when I got into MLing, I was greatly surprised of the accuracy easily attained w/ my loads w/o all the fussy stuff connected w/ my benchrest days.

I don't weigh the RBs and don't weigh the powder charges....they're thrown fron a volume measure.......Fred

Latest posts

Back