• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

horn colors..screw up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm doing a horn for a friend..plug in, scrimshaw done, decided horn was just too white. Had a solution of "Old Bones" on hand, put horn in. After 3-4 hours,barely any color. Dumped the rest of the Old Bones bottle into the solution, put horn in, and forgot it for about 5 hours..horn came out so dark brown it looked like mahogany. Scrimshaw can't be seen. Made a strong solution of Chlorox and put horn in. 4 hours has brought it to the light tan look I wanted. Should anyone else suffer from senior ADD and so screw up, I pass on this solution. Hank

I don't know how deep you do engraving, but most of the time you can just use #0000 steel wool and buff the color off and maybe do a little touch-up on the scratching. OLD BONES is no more than Potassium Panangemate and only sets on the surface of the horn or antler material, where coloring with RIT DYE, onion skins, sumac, tea, coffee or other natural organic methods will accutually penitrates deeper and has a wider range of color mixtures for variety with no long range health effects or dangers of using PP or other acids.

Rick

thanks to both of you for comments. After getting the hue to about what I wanted, I decided I did not like the fit of the base plug, and was able to get it out. I boiled the horn again, and found that the boiling had removed about all of the Old Bones coloring. Used a bottle to get a round horn base and made a better plug. I'm going to re-cut the scrimshaw, and will then rub on some old bones (I didn't know that it was to be swabbed on..thanks). I've also decided that the strap on the inkle room looks crappy, so that'll be scrapped and a better one done. I have made about 25 horns or so over the past 40 years, and have never had so much trouble...Hank

Back