• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoppes black powder solvent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For the people that use Hoppes patch lube, how much do you use and how do you apply it. Between shots do you wipe. Any information would be appreciated.
David

Have not used it for a while, but when I do, I apply three or four drops to the patch, center the wet spot over the bore, place the ball on center and then start it. Then cut at muzzle. No reason you cannot pre wet precut patches.

I load without wiping between shots. The wet patch wipes as you load. Any of the wet lubes can be used the same way.

For hunting I use a grease type lube.

Before I got the dutch system I was precutting round :redface: :surrender: patches and would put 25-30 in a cap tin and squirt some lube in. It soaks em well then use as usual. Best lube If used for NOT SWIPING between shots.

I did often notice rust in the cap tin after the hunting season so they will rust in yer bore if ya leave em overnite. Just shoot em out and clean. Good luck!

I precut patches, put them in a sandwich bag and squirt in enough of the Hoppes BPS to get them uniformly moist. I don't have to swab between shots this way and clean up with water is easy. I like the stuff but it is wet so I don't leave it in the barrel long term.

Jeff

Back