• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoppes #9 BP Solvent/patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all who answered..........None of these business mentioned will ship black powder solvent to Canada. So it looks like I am SOL...................Chawbeef

Contact Hoppe's directly.

Canada

Bushnell Outdoor Products Canada
140 Great Gulf Drive
Unit #B
Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
L4K 5W1

1-800-361-5702
(905) 771-2980
Fax: 1-800-661-3254
Local Fax: (905) 771-2984

Okay I gotta ask since reading this. Do you use it as a dry patch lube, put it on the patch then let it dry? Do you use it as a damp patch lube? Now you all have got me thinking about trying it :hmm: . DANNY

OK. Now two of you have used BLKMZ and no one has spelled it out.

In the rules of literature, when you first abbreviate a word or anything you immediately follow it with the spelled out name in parenthesis.
as In:

BLKMZ(black Misery) and then you are free to use the abbreviation in the rest of the body of the post. Then newer and less known the word you are abbreviating the more important the spelling to its full name.

You can see from the above that I once taught at the secondary and University level am therefore something of a pain in the Butt.

I still don't know what the MZ represents.
How couldI go into my local noisemaker shop and ask for 'MZ" so I could try it out.?

If I wrote Charlie was a SB shooter. The unknowing would wonder if Charlie shot Southern Baptists? Persons whose maternal parent had canine qualities of possibly a smooth bore .

Dutch

Danny Ross said:
Do you use it as a dry patch lube, put it on the patch then let it dry? Do you use it as a damp patch lube?
I use it ”˜wet’ in that I’ll take 30 or so square cut patches, lube them and then string them onto a piece of yarn hanging from my shootin bag strap. I may make up a ton more, lube & store in a non-period correct ziplock bag.

For lubing, I’d rried a similar method as the Dutch Schoultz system in that I tried to see what the bore/barrel liked for best consistency & accuracy. But NOTE I am still using them wet/damp. If the weather is damp or below freezing, I’ll move the tarn string of patches to a top button hole on a wool shirt and I keep them tucked out of any moisture (if wet out) and warm (if cold out).

In smaller bores, I’ll try 2 good drops, on edge of patch 180-degrees apart and rub it in good around the perimeter of the patch. I honestly do not bother to lube the ”˜center’ portion of the patch that is the diameter of the ball.

In my 50 & 56, I found 3 good drops to be the best, but in my 75-cal smoothie of 60” barrel, I need 4-drops, 1 in each corner. At a recent shoot w/ the 75, I fired > 30 loads of 90-grains 1Fg powdah with outstanding accuracy and I never had trouble loading all day.

As another poster opined, for my hunting rifle, I use Track’s mink oil.

I can tell you how I use it though others may have their own methods. I get the patches wet but not at all drippy. This way they actually clean the bore when you seat the prb. As usually happens, once the prb is started, any excess lube will squeeze out and is easily wiped (or not) off the the barrel crown. This pretty much keeps the lube uniform from patch to patch.

Dutch Schoultz said:
OK. Now two of you have used BLKMZ and no one has spelled it out.

In the rules of literature, when you first abbreviate a word or anything you immediately follow it with the spelled out name in parenthesis.
as In:

BLKMZ(black Misery) and then you are free to use the abbreviation in the rest of the body of the post. Then newer and less known the word you are abbreviating the more important the spelling to its full name.

You can see from the above that I once taught at the secondary and University level am therefore something of a pain in the Butt.

I still don't know what the MZ represents.
How couldI go into my local noisemaker shop and ask for 'MZ" so I could try it out.?

If I wrote Charlie was a SB shooter. The unknowing would wonder if Charlie shot Southern Baptists? Persons whose maternal parent had canine qualities of possibly a smooth bore .

Dutch

I don't really know what the MZ stands for Alliant powders simply markets it as Black MZ.

As for how to ask for it, tell the merchant to order from Alliant Powders and it is called Black MZ.
(I had to specify that is was a black powder substance at Sportsmans the first time. I also had to tell them that I'd seen it in an add from them before the guy believed me that they actually carried it. He then went and looked in the muzzle loader powders area, where they keep the Pyrodex, and found it.)

RHuff said:
I just ordered from Hinterland Outfitters by the case for 4.77 a bottle may try and see if they will ship to Canada.

Just went to their site. The listed price for 10 8 oz. bottles is $45.77. I don't need a case. :doh:

I must say the membership on this forum are the best. A member about a thousand miles away from where I live sent me a brand new bottle of BP Solvent out of the goodness of his heart. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: .................Chawbeef

Back