• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Nipple Wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before by someone. I looked and couldn’t find anything about it. Anyway I read a post lately, (I can’t remember what MZ the post was about), about having a hard time finding a small enough wrench for intricate or small nipples or tight clearances. During the covid thing I was shooting alot and broke my pistol nipple wrench. Figured no biggie, just grab another. They were nonexistent on the internet. TOTW makes a good one but they were out with no back orders. I live in the middle of nowhere with no place to find anything. 150 miles from the nearest walmart for example. Dug through my stuff and found 6 wrenches but non would fit. Way too big. I am sure I didn’t invent this but made one out of a deep well 5mm 1/4” drive socket. It works fantastic! Carefully cut the grooves out parallel to the flats inside that grip the nut. Used a dremel with a good reenforced cut off wheel and then slowly took it down and cleaned it up with a diamond needle file. Anyway, I hope this can help someone!

Attachments

• 18CD7DCD-2FE9-43AB-83DF-54E7128A56E9.jpeg
    18CD7DCD-2FE9-43AB-83DF-54E7128A56E9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 7D51C746-69C0-4763-9888-0AA68465105C.jpeg
    7D51C746-69C0-4763-9888-0AA68465105C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 16C872FA-6E65-4883-8D03-12C9C91269DA.jpeg
    16C872FA-6E65-4883-8D03-12C9C91269DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have purchased nipple wrenches and made them and this is what I have found: Most will break if the nipple has been installed too tightly. A good nipple wrench is hard to find. The nipple wrench must be a close fit on the nipple to work well. Nipple and threads must be cleaned after removed. Use a grease or anti-seize when reinstalling nipples. Never overtighten nipples when installing.:thumb:;):)

It will most likely break on a stuck/hard to remove nipple - due to the soft metal.
Ted Cash ratchet style with replacement sized does well for 2-sided nipples.

I prefer 4-sided nipple flats and a 19th Century British style nipple wrench.
Made a spare nipple and wrench recently for a friend.

IMG_1486.jpeg
IMG_1487.jpeg
IMG_1488.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly, this hex drive impact tool is no longer available at Harbor Freight. A similar tool can be found on Amazon but it takes some searching. The tip for the nipple wrench was made from a 5 mm nut driver. It worked when I removed the nipples from one of those over torqued Italian percussion revolvers. Two dowels in the vise to set the cylinder in place. Only took a few taps with the impact tool to loosen the nipples.

1689536492249.jpeg

Part of the "Don't Force It, Get a Bigger Hammer" series of tools.

I’ve bought and made a few nipple wrenches for my revolvers, and found that the fingers can widen apart, eventually to the point where the wrench no longer works. My solution was to press on a small steel sleeve (ring) to keep the fingers from spreading. Works like a champ.

Latest posts

Back