• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade History

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48702

Richard Turner
Reaction score
Anyone watched the "Homemade History" channel on youtube? Never seen it mentioned here before, but the gentleman is very interesting. Don't know his name, but the gentleman is from Germany. His youtube channel is called Homemade History Homemade History . He has said several times that he was tired of waiting on lock parts from TOW, and other suppliers, so he started making everything from scratch. He said he uses no kit guns or roughed out parts. He uses modern tooling, but he rifles his own barrels (made his own vintage style rifling machine), makes his own locks, triggers, screws, springs, and carves his stocks from stock blanks that he sources himself. His weapons might not be top shelf, but for what he starts out with (raw materials), I think he does outstanding work. I've been watching his step by step videos in building a swivel breech rifle from scratch. He's not finished with the swivel breech, but he's up to video #32 in the series. All I've got to say is, he definitely has plenty of time on his hands.

I love his videos. The guy is a true master at making due with the tools that you have. The fancy tools are great to have, but he proves that you can get by without them. He certainly comes up with creative solutions sometimes. Sad thing is that since he concentrates on gun building he is likely to get kicked off You Tube before too long.

Sounds very interesting. I really do not have the time to watch videos (maybe it is attention span) but there is some great stuff out there. From what you say, I do not doubt that what he is manufacturing is not far off from the actual quality of a lot of small time gun smiths, who themselves did not have much recourses. It is always the higher end (purchased by better off) firearms that tend to survive. The everyday working mans arms get lost to time., worn out, broken, discarded, etc.

I love his channel! I can't believe I hadn't discovered it before. Love the way he used his table saw for a lathe. I'll be watching him some more. Thanks.

Back