• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home-made matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pukka Bundook said:
Can anyone tell us why the pictures came out with dislocated lines??

Because you did them as a .jpg which includes a degree of compression. You could have done them perfectly as a .bmp but we would all have fallen asleep waiting while they downloaded :thumbsup:

Send the pictures into the Britannica Illustrated Dictionary people. I hear they need material for the word "masterpiece". :grin: Honking great job!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you again for all the kind words.
I really don't know what to say, Just made it 'cos it was an enjoyable project.
It started off quite plain, then I thought id just do 'a bit here', then 'a bit there'....so it progressed, at the same time not wanting to get it too buzy, like some of the originals...
I know that there are a lot of folks out there that can do a Lot better job than me, and I'd NEVER want to get into that "Gunfighter syndrome" bit, where pride takes over and you think your the best, because we all know what happens to gunfighters that Think they're the best!!...

We do what we do because it is truly enjoyable and for a sense of achievment, but should ONLY compare our work WITH our previous work, or we will lose all joy in what we do!
The satifaction I get, is taking a piece of iron from the scrap pile, or a chunk of wood that could have remained a trucker's block for the rest of it's life, and transforming it into something pleasing to the eye.
A piece of scrap iron could remain scrap iron forever, yet within that scrap, there is potential for something to emerge which could have forever remained hidden,...
THis is what gives me satisfaction, and Not in the least comparing my work with that of other folks.

When Sarah has finished her finals, she will re-post the pics, as the quality is really bothering me, and I'm not smart enough to do it myself!!

All the best,
Pukka.

Pukka Bundook said:
Thank you again for all the kind words.
I really don't know what to say, Just made it 'cos it was an enjoyable project.
It started off quite plain, then I thought id just do 'a bit here', then 'a bit there'....so it progressed, at the same time not wanting to get it too buzy, like some of the originals...

And it shows, that is definitely the fruit from a labor of love. And I'm not one to mince words.

Pukka Bundook said:
I know that there are a lot of folks out there that can do a Lot better job than me, and I'd NEVER want to get into that "Gunfighter syndrome" bit, where pride takes over and you think your the best, because we all know what happens to gunfighters that Think they're the best!!...

Where? Where? There may be a few, but I would hesitate to say many. The MLF is a place for sharing. Here, you won't find every other post offering you goods or services, or posts belittling anyone's craftsmanship. :nono: Though they may find themselves chastized for taking to long to deliver the goods that they offer. :shake: No "Gunfighter syndrome" allowed here. That's why the rules plainly say:

MLF Rules said:
Ӣ Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind. Do not put links to your commercial web site in your posts. Links to your site may go in your profile.
Ӣ Do not post links to other Muzzleloading Forums or items for sale. This includes items on eBay or other web sites.

Pukka Bundook said:
We do what we do because it is truly enjoyable and for a sense of achievment, but should ONLY compare our work WITH our previous work, or we will lose all joy in what we do!
The satifaction I get, is taking a piece of iron from the scrap pile, or a chunk of wood that could have remained a trucker's block for the rest of it's life, and transforming it into something pleasing to the eye.
A piece of scrap iron could remain scrap iron forever, yet within that scrap, there is potential for something to emerge which could have forever remained hidden,...
THis is what gives me satisfaction, and Not in the least comparing my work with that of other folks.

When Sarah has finished her finals, she will re-post the pics, as the quality is really bothering me, and I'm not smart enough to do it myself!!

All the best,
Pukka.

It is unfortunate that we live in a world that the everyday worker cannot step back from time to time and know the sense of accomplishment or self worth that comes with being able to say I created that. And we do just that, whether we assemble a kit or build from scratch. Because in the end, when we build or assemble a gun from kit or scratch, it becomes more than the sum of its parts, because it is the handicraft of our sweat, time and muscle. Something that we can truly say I created that!

grin.gif

CP

Nice work.Curiously the Matchlock pictured was posted several years back on this forum.The posting was A Simple matchlock?The post linked to a UK Forum with pictures posted.One of the members of this forum to quote said "do you hear my jaw dropping to the floor"or something to that effect.I can't locate the posting now on this forum...But I saved all the pictures(11 count)8 months ago via the MLF link to UK site posted at that time.
UK_Matchlock4.jpg
UK_Matchlock2.jpg
UK_Match1.jpg
UK_Match3.jpg
Seems like the same pictures?

Here is one higher resolution Jpeg converted from the BMP format photos on my harddrive.
UK_MatchlockHR.jpg
:hmm: A another dated from 8 months ago
UK_MatchlockHR3.jpg
:confused:

Hello Spitfire,

Yes, this is my gun alright, but unless I'm in worse shape than I thought, I haven't posted pics here before!!
Am a bit puzzled about this, and how to reply without breaking the rules...
Quite a while ago, I did post these pics on another forum, but it wasn't a UK sight that I remember, it was based in US.
I sometimes check in on a UK site but don't remember posting the pictures there, and certainly not under the heading you mention.
I'm not sure if I'm having a gray moment or what?!?

Is there a slight suggestion that this isn't my gun? If this is the case, no offence taken at all, and no offence meant!......Just not quite sure what you mean.
If there Is any doubt about wether this is my gun, in anyones mind, please just ask for more pictures from some angles not seen before, and I'd be happy to oblige.

If I'm all confused and am reading this wrong, I apologise and beg your indulgence!

Sincerely,
Richard.

No offense meant.Someone else posted the UK link (that showed the photos) several years ago in the MLF Forum. :winking:The posting is not on this site anymore.But 8 months ago it was and that time I downloaded the Pics in BMP format via the then posted UK link.The firearm was described as not a exact copy of a original,but a homemade rendition invoking several period firearms with hand carved bone inlays.One MLF member posted I think I heard _ jaw drop.The Net has made the world smaller.I was just trying to jar old forum members memories.I offer :thumbsup: to a job well done.

Pukka Bundook said:
Yes, this is my gun alright, but unless I'm in worse shape than I thought, I haven't posted pics here before!!

Heck, if I'd made that I'd be posting pictures on here at least once a month :rotf:

Pukka Bundook said:
I'm awfully sorry that the pics are bad, but think I have it figured out. Think they were saved in Photo-bucket one size too large, as they're nice & clear there, but lost it when shrunk somewhat for this forum.

I'll tell you what. Send me the gun and I will give you as many high res photos you could ever want, and as a special treat I will format them all to fit on this forum. I'll eaven send it back to you when I'm done. I just want to be able to hold it for a while.

Beutiful work. :bow: I hope one day I can make one just as nice.

Frost

You may be able to play with it at some time, We have a wee shoot once a year, on the farm here. Last year all the lads that turned up got to have a shot with it.
Just come to the shoot in july!
Glad you likeum.

Pukka

Well, you may wish to post a time and date with place and directions here and in the events section. Though people traveling to Canada from the US best check
the restrictions for travel to and from these countries.

CP

Pukka Bundook said:
You may be able to play with it at some time, We have a wee shoot once a year, on the farm here. Last year all the lads that turned up got to have a shot with it.
Just come to the shoot in july!
Glad you likeum.

Pukka

I would love to, unfortunately I am in Colorado, and getting to Canada is not an option for me at the moment. I seem to have gotten a case of the poor college student syndrome. :( Hopefully some time in the future I will be able to make such a trip. BTW, were abouts are you in Canada?

Frost

P.S. I hope nobody minds me asking, but is there anybody else on this forum who is interested in matchlocks and living in Colorado?

Claypipe,

I don't really think our little shoot deserves international reccognition at the mo, there's only about 5 of us turn up, and at present the main focus is on early breech-loading British military rifles, so not really a suitable venue for this forum.
Having said that, we did shoot the odd M/loader!
This little shoot is still in its infancy, not much planned stuff, and is only a one day deal.
Having said that, if anyone wants to turn up they would be most welcome.
I'll add e-mail in my profile if it's not there at present.

Frost,

Hope to see you up this way sometime!!
Were in Alberta, SW of Red Deer, (Alberta's the bit above Montana)

Pukka.

Hey, Pukka, how about a few more details? There's a couple of us down in Cowtown that might be interested in offering a bit of sulfur-tinged comic relief. Depends in part on when - I work security and have trouble getting other than my scheduled days off, especially as we're short handed right now.

Joel

Calgree eh?, Well, That's not too far away.
Seems our little shoot will be on Sat, 8th July, with a poss. of it dragging over into 9th for some.
Me?..... it depends on if haytime is happening or not...But I'll be there on sat. seeing how it's on our turf!
i'll put e-mail in my profile soon, and I can give you directions if it'll work out for you. Hope so!
easy to find though, up 2 to Bowden, west a bit...

What armament you have?

Hope to see you!
Pukka.

That looks like an iffy weekend for work. Rats! Maybe another time?

As for armament, nothing appropriate in breechloaders. Flint rifles in 35-bore and 150-bore, and a fowler in 16-bore. (How's that for period-pretentious?) A buddy had a Snider, but I think he's traded it, and only has a Sharps in BP cartridge guns, besides his front-stuffers. There's three of the four of us who hunt together that use M/Ls as well as more modern arms.

Hmm... another thought, but not germane to the board - I'll PM you on it.

Joel

Back