• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home brew patch lube....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill L.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a newer member to the forum. I'm getting back into BP shooting after a long lay-off.
Looking for "home made" patch lube recipes....the more the better. I've tried some commercial brands with mixed results. I know every rifle is different but I want to know ALL my options.
The rifle is used mainly for target shooting at 25 yds to 100 yards during warm weather.
Thanks for any advice.
Bill L

Check out "Articles-Charts-Links" under Members Resources. There's a good recipe cook-book of lubes.
In fact there's a lot of very useful info here. Take some time and look around;)

I am new also and here is one I picked up from a 30 year flinter. You will hear a lot of pro's and con's for every recipe you get, but this is one:

“Flinter's Lube”
Mix up a gallon at a time to these proportions:

8 oz - Water Soluble Oil
11-12 oz - liquid dish washer soap
3 oz - Hoppes #9
Fill gallon with water

:grin:

1/3 olive oil, 1/3 lard, 1/3 bee's wax. In the winter, I add more olive oil to thin it some.

Straight olive oil by itself works great.

Mine is pretty close to Mark's.

One part Crisco, one part beeswax, two parts olive oil or peanut oil. Melt in the microwave, stir a little, and pour into a container of your choosing while it's still liquid.

I use old bullet boxes for bench use and a musket cap tin for carrying in my pocket.

PatchLube.jpg

I use rendered deer tallow. Bear if I have some. Used groundhog&beeswax,50-50. Stumpy's moosemilk. Dilly

Stumpkillers recipes are great.

I've also become fond of Hoppes BP solvent and patch lube.

I mix my own beeswax/olive oil lube also. about 60:40 oil to wax. You can adjust for consistency as needed.

HD

Bill,
Of course we all like to experiment.But
before you do just try the Moose Snot & Moose
Juice recipes.I've tried,many,many lubes but
have always returned to Moose Snot.IMO
snake-eyes:hmm:

Deer tallow, bear grease, lard, olive oil, etc. There is no real need to formulate a magic patch lube. Use one of the above as is.....

Bill L. said:
Looking for "home made" patch lube recipes....the more the better.
Bill L
Bill, the above recipes are simple to make and all are pretty effective. I have deer, bear, and beef tallow available, also beeswax so I make up lube using one of the tallows (or a combination), beeswax and olive oil. Consistency can be varied to compensate for temps. Some people use Vaseline, others Jergen's Skin-So-Soft, either straight or stirred in to the mix. I pour the lube into Sucret tins that have the paint burned or stripped off.

The reason I like the deer tallow is that it stays in the tin when it is hot weather. Groundhog will stay oil, so have to add beeswax to it to stay firm. Bear&skunk same. I have some beef tallow, but haven't used it yet. I keep them in freezer so they don't get rancid till I need them. Good for a few years as of now. Dilly

For target or shooting for the pure enjoyment of shooting these old timey guns, plain old spit on a precut patch will allow more shots without swabbing than almost anything anyone can invent.

It is the least expensive lube, and cleanup is a breeze.

Saliva isn't especially suited to hunting or any event that requires a gun to be loaded for any length of time, but for targets, IMHO, it is the way to go...and it is cheap.

Windex is excellent! If you change that label to say Magic Flint Lock Cleaner, you could sell that bottle for $25.00 at Friendship. :wink:

Anyone ever try Marvel Mystery Oil? I use it in a lot of my tools,engines,airtools etc......I have used a drop or two on my lock, never tried it on a patch?

If the Marvel Mystery Oil is petroleum based, it will cause gummy fouling when shooting black powder.

I know and have read all the arguments, don't intend on debating since every forum on the net has covered it!

Just curious if anyone has tried it?

Back