• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hunting near San Antonio?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WH .50

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just found out that I will be spending a week or so next spring in the San Antonio area and I was thinking that my son and I would take our rifles along and do some hog hunting while we're out that way. Can anyone recommend a reputable outfit to hunt with in that area? I figured some of you may live in the area or have hunted out that way. Thanks in advance!!

I hunted west of San Antonio 6 years ago, lots of hogs in that area. Not sure about any public access I hunted with an outfitter, shot 2 hogs in 2 days.

I've set up several hog hunting trips with Texas Wild/Smith Brothers ranches who own and manage several ranches in and around Pleasanton which is just south of San Antonio. It's a very easy drive and the hogs are plentiful down there. There is also good hog hunting north of SA in the Hill Country but it's a longer drive and more rugged hunting conditions. I will PM you with the details.

newtewsmoke said:
was hopin' you'd show up Bull. :wink:
If I can help someone else avoid the rip-offs and disappointments that I experienced over the years I'm happy to do it. Although the days in which a land owner would invite you to come and shoot all the hogs that you could find are long over there are still some reasonably priced hog hunting opportunities left in Texas. It does boggle my mind sometimes still that these destructive critters have become big business in some places, but those are usually also the places that feature 4 star lodging and gourmet meals as part of the package. Not everybody wants or can afford such hunting vacations either, so for me the simple the better.

bull3540 said:
There is also good hog hunting north of SA in the Hill Country but it's a longer drive and more rugged hunting conditions. I will PM you with the details.
I have been looking for a hunt for the wife & I. Due to some issues 1st health, then work,then tags the wife has only hunted one elk camp in the last 4 years and did not get a shot that year. So long as they don't cut on my shoulder (I'll know in two weeks) I want to take her hog hunting before mid spring.
LOL All that said could I get a copy of the PM about the hill country hunts? please. I'm in Colorado & would be driving down.

If you ever get a muley tag in Colorado unit 21 I would be happy to show what I know :wink:

Thanks again to all who have helped!! It really is appreciated and I will be sure to tell ya'll about our hunt when we get back. Right now,it looks like we will be out that way the 1st. week of June. Thanks again!!

Sean Gadhar said:
bull3540 said:
There is also good hog hunting north of SA in the Hill Country but it's a longer drive and more rugged hunting conditions. I will PM you with the details.
LOL All that said could I get a copy of the PM about the hill country hunts? please. I'm in Colorado & would be driving down.
Actually the place I am recommending is south of San Antonio near Pleasanton for several reasons, one of which is the flat land which is much easier to hunt than up in the Hill Country to the north. The other is all the farms, especially the peanut crops which the hogs love, supports a larger population. Not that the Hill Country with all the oak trees doesn't satisfy the hogs, and personally I've seen the largest hogs there too but just not in the same numbers. Plus it's a lot easier to see where the hogs have been routing around on the farmlands as opposed to the thin soil of the Hill Country. I am going to PM a copy of the info and if that doesn't suit your needs then I will be happy to help you find some place to get you on to some hogs. You just have to promise to post a picture of your downed hogs when you get a chance- :grin:

Latest posts

Back