• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historical accuracy of left handed rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sf180a

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am wondering if left handed guns are historically accurate for the colonial era.

Left handedness in general is not h/c. I don't think many were made at all. I am a left handed shooter, but also always interested in historically correct flintlocks. Shooting r/h guns has never really bothered me, but over the years I have had a couple l/h guns.
Historically correct was always important to me, and the l/h guns just didn't make that much difference for my actual shooting that it out weighed the not h/c. To me it wasn't worth the cost of having a l/h gun just for shooting that I didn't consider h/c.
You should shoot some l/h flintlocks if you can and see how it is for you. Other left handed shooters have commented on other threads how awful shooting a r/h rifle is. They don't bother me at all. You should see where you fall on the spectrum.

I've seen a few, very few. In Kevin Gladysz's book on French trade guns there are actually two he photographed and described. And there may be one in Joe Kindig's Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age. (I'm working from memory, here.)

Left handed firearms are just as accurate as right handed firearms. The barrel is the same on both except for the ignition location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back