• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hickory dowels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyDusty

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone know if a source for hickory dowels, to make a ball starter? What about the brass tip? I have some antler I was thinking of using.

Lowes has red oak dowels, they look just like hickory when stained and can have surprisingly little grain run out.

I've made many short starters and rods with those oak dowels and never broke any.

I'm also in the club of those who have only broken long starters that had brass tips, never those that didn't. I'll also say that the .45 short/long starter my Dad made in the late 1970s having a .38 Special shell case for a tip has never broken and the ones I did break were commercial ones from cheap "starter kits" using pith wood dowels and the brass was very thick so the wood was reduced significantly at the ferrule base and thus weakened.

I've made a bunch of starters for various calibers using a range of materials to build them. I usually put brass tips on the starters but no all of them. Notice the short wooden peg and one even carved out of the antler. They were all made from stuff I found around my shop.

89b20b4a-02bd-41be-9eb6-81dadfa7c30e-zpsd567bcc6.jpg

PICT0570-1.jpg

With the right patch and ball combination, short starters are not needed.
Can't help but disagree with you, for me, and my fellow shooters. I am sure, you are correct with what you want in a load, but I like a tight fit. I don't see how the ball would get in the bore without one. I see bunches of my friends yearly shooting in matches, and I have yet to see anyone loading without a starter. Again, if that works for you go for it.
Larry

DirtyDusty, if you are just wanting to make a range ball starter, nothing to put in a PC kit. You can even use and old arrow shaft. The wooden ones sometimes even have an insert with threads that will accept a jag. I have uses carbon and aluminum ones for bench shooting in small caliber rifles. I fill the small caliber wooden rods are more likely to break . But I always take wooden to the woods. Just use a pistol case that fits snug on the wood shaft. I would epoxy it and pin to shaft. If the rim is to fat it can be filed down pretty easy.

All the ones at TOW have threaded tips, I don't like those for ramrod/short starters.
The ones without threads are hard to find
Treso brand is the non-thteaded ones I've used. I buy Treso ramrod accessories on eBay. Pretty good stuff and not too expensive. At least there used to be plenty on there. Haven't looked in a while.

Treso brand is the non-thteaded ones I've used. I buy Treso ramrod accessories on eBay. Pretty good stuff and not too expensive. At least there used to be plenty on there. Haven't looked in a while.
Just did a quick look on eBay and the have RMC and CVA ramrod tip kits but didn't see any Treso. Both brands are made for a 3/8 rod. Plus 1 in the red oak dowels from Lowe's or Home Depot. I use them for all kinds of stuff. They look good either stained or waxed and are durable. No idea where to get hickory though.

Anyone know if a source for hickory dowels, to make a ball starter? What about the brass tip? I have some antler I was thinking of using.
I ain't checked in awhile but I bet I got a bunch of short hickory rods under the bench . Every time I cut a ramrod to length the left over piece I toss under the bench . PM me yer address and I'll send em to ya ...

If the tip of the short starter dowel is slightly pointed , the center of the dowel takes the abuse , while the outer edge doesn't touch the ball , no metal tip is needed. Doing it that way for 1/2 century w/ no breakage. Metal tip makes the starter look finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back