• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help on calculating twist.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsudttesrod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the rate of twist on a barrel which is in a new to me 54 cal rifle I just bought. The barrel has no markings at all so I can't tell who manufactured it. I attached a 12 gauge copper brush to my ram rod and put a .018 patch over it and inserted this down the barrel. Upon reaching the breach I did the old tape the ram rod/ tape the barrel at the front sight thing lining the tape up. I then proceeded to pull out the ram rod slowly watching for when I got to the 1/4 turn mark. When I got to a quarter turn I measured the distance from the tape to the muzzle and got a measurement of 25". I did this several times and got the same measurement. That would make the barrel a 1:100 twist. Did I do something wrong? That seems abnormal to me but what do I know I'm a newbie. Anyone ever heard of a twist rate like that?

You done good with your method and if 25 inches is what you got for 1/4 of a full turn then you do have a 1:100 twist in that barrel.

That does seem a bit slow but you said it was in a rifled (I assume), 12 guage barrel.

A roundball for that size bore would be in the neighborhood of .690 in diameter for a patched ball and big patched balls don't need a fast twist to fly straight.

You didn't say but, what kind of rifle do you have ?

That don't sound right for a 54 cal rifle. Instead of using the shotgun brush, try a jag with fairly snug patch. I think something slipped, on that other deal. I would guess something more like 1 turn in 70 inches or 1/2 turn in 35 inches.

OH. :redface:

My frinkle up.

I saw the 12 guage brush and didn't see the .54 caliber.

Yes, a 1:100 twist in a .54 does sound slow but IMO, a patched roundball for one could shoot very nicely with that twist.

When it comes to roundballs, they do not need to be "stabilized" like a bullet does.

Their "short length" doesn't require a fast twist to keep them from tumbling.
All their rotation needs to do is to cancel out any deflections caused by the high speed air as they fly downrange.

My rifle is a .54 cal plains style rifle. I just bought it and have yet to fire her. The seller said it was custom and it has no markings. I used the 12 gauge brush because I don't have a jag or cleaning kit yet and I wanted to get her cleaned up right away. The bore looks great with no rust or pitting. Any idea where I can get a jag or cleaning kit for a .54 cal besides online? I'm considering making my own range rod as well.

Here's what she looks like:
20170313_175521_zpsnr9dap1e.jpg
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p474/nitsudragde/20170313_175640_zps9avtql6f.jpg http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p474/nitsudragde/20170313_175830_zpsetwcgfzs.jpg http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p474/nitsudragde/20170313_205423_zpsnffshbon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitsud,
My method, masking tape can be wrapped around the rod to make tight fit for a greased patch to measure the twist.

Congrats on a nice looking rifle.

Nitsud said:
I'm trying to figure out the rate of twist on a barrel which is in a new to me 54 cal rifle I just bought. The barrel has no markings at all so I can't tell who manufactured it. I attached a 12 gauge copper brush to my ram rod and put a .018 patch over it and inserted this down the barrel. Upon reaching the breach I did the old tape the ram rod/ tape the barrel at the front sight thing lining the tape up. I then proceeded to pull out the ram rod slowly watching for when I got to the 1/4 turn mark. When I got to a quarter turn I measured the distance from the tape to the muzzle and got a measurement of 25". I did this several times and got the same measurement. That would make the barrel a 1:100 twist. Did I do something wrong? That seems abnormal to me but what do I know I'm a newbie.

( Anyone ever heard of a twist rate like that?)

The English Baker rifle .72 cal. used a 1:120 twist

Very nice looking rifle.
A 1:100 twist is not impossible. Not common but possible. However, to stabilize your ball and get the best groups you will need very hefty charges. My .54 Jaeger, with 1:72" twist, needs charges north of 100 gr. It is not a light rifle and those loads make for very uncomfortable recoil. :shocked2: Be prepared.

Back