• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help IDing pocket flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I rescued this pocket pistol from a pawn shop today. I dont think it is an original but an old replica. It is about .45 cal. Total length is 8 1/4 inches. Smooth lock and throws very nice shower of sparks into pan.

pocketflintlock001.jpg

pocketflintlock002.jpg

pocketflintlock003.jpg

pocketflintlock004.jpg

Any help would be very appreciated thanks.

Joe

Any proof marks on it?
To me, it looks like a Spanish or Japanese made 40-50 yr old replica too.

That is interesting. Definitely not 18th or 19th century - look at the shape of the trigger. It almost looks as if someone modified a "Lincoln" deringer to flintlock. Whether this was a factory model or a home gunsmithing project, I have no idea.

Although it may be from the 1800's I'm inclined to agree with AZ Longrifle.

The clue to me is the feather spring.
On the old original guns these were usually forged while this one looks like a piece of sheet metal that was formed into a U and then had the screw end twisted to lay flat on the face of the lockplate.

I've never seen an original with this kind of spring on it.

Agreed. The wood is also wrong for an original. The original 1803 French Officer's pistol I'm looking at right now in my hand has far different and better quality wood.

tac
Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Thanks for your responses and comments. I too gave it some thought that it could have been a CVA stlye Deringer and then had the flintlock added. It could also be an assemblance of parts from several different beginnings. The lock is a real piece of work. Crisp action, nice spring and sear. No proof marks.

Thanks again

Joe

Back