• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help ID what i found

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
have just bought this one and its in transit to me now just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it
all i know its flintlock and is 45 cal
the seller had little info onit
I wanted another rock banger beside my musket
thanks for any help of ideas in advance
pix1315852703.jpg

It looks like a kit gun sold by Sears in the 70's.
I have one that I have never completed. It is percussion, 45 cal Miroku barrel. The lock has very delicate wire springs.

I hope it was really cheap. I don't consider it a shooter.

Dan

Dan no more then i might shoot it sure like to know what you mean
I not looking for a rifle to hunt with or shoot in matchs just put a few balls down range once and while 50 to 100 yard paper targets and make some smoke doing it
I got this one at a fare price even if it ends up on the wall
SO would you say it not safe to shoot or are you saying its not a match/hunting gun
I going to inspect and make sure all is solid and safe befor I do or try anything with it

buzz said:
Dan no more then i might shoot it sure like to know what you mean
I not looking for a rifle to hunt with or shoot in matchs just put a few balls down range once and while 50 to 100 yard paper targets and make some smoke doing it
I got this one at a fare price even if it ends up on the wall
SO would you say it not safe to shoot or are you saying its not a match/hunting gun
I going to inspect and make sure all is solid and safe befor I do or try anything with it
Generally, the locks don't work well.

As Mike just pointed out, the locks don't work well. This can be regarded as a safety feature as it tends to prevent firing the gun. Since this safety feature isn't infallible, I would recommend a maximum load of 3 grains of Fg GOEX under an undersized and unpatched ball of pure cotton. Range and accuracy will not be very impressive in all likelyhood, but costs will be low and the chances of your body parts remaining attached to one another are high.

I had that exact Miroku "Ultra High" (or something like that...) when I was a teenager. Shot it for years but later found that the breech plug was welded on vs. threaded. I retired it then. You might want to check on that or at least keep your loads light.

Buzz, I hate to rain on your parade but I think you have bought a piece of junk. :doh: If I were you, I'd refinish it so it looks half way decent and then use it as a wall hanger. Right now, the stock looks about as attractive as a 2 X 6 :barf: . If you insist on shooting it, I'd sure take it to a gunsmith and have him look it over carefully to see if it is safe to shoot. :hmm: Several years back there was a lot of unsafe junk sold to an unsuspecting public. Every now and then a piece of this early manure shows up for sale by someone who wants to dump it. This looks like it may be one of these early pieces. Proceed with caution.

Oh I don't think they're all that bad, the Miroku barrels were really not bad at all. The lock is not much but no worse than many CVA and Traditons. I have one in the shop I picked up as a parts gun for five bucks. After looking it over I decided I could restore it to shooting and maybe sell it for one hundred. However, mine is a percussion so lock quality is not so critical.
Clean it up, make sure it isn't loaded, put a flint in it and see if it will spark, if so you might have some fun with it. :grin:

Thats a 10-4 on that Miroku barrel...........I bought just a barrel and breechplug that came unused from a kit for $20.........The barrel has real nice 4 groove rifling in .45 caliber with a bolster type of breech plug with a metric fine thread about 5/ths inch in diameter. Hope to use it someday on something as the barrel I believe is the only quality part on those old rifles....................Bob

Well gents i jsut want a flintlock that wont break the bank to go and make smoke and play with
I bought and sold or returned a several over the past year jsut coz they are not right to me
i did not like traditions and most newer flinter have the double set trigger witch i dont want
the seller of this gun said he would give me a few days to inspect/try it and go from there

Latest posts

Back