• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Suffolk, UK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby H

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon All,

Back into shooting after several years abroad and managed to pick up a .45 Smoothbore percussion shotgun muzzleloader.

I've previously owned a New Model Army .38 revolver so some experience with black powder. Though I intend to use Pyrodex and eventually Triple 7 when I get my explosives certificate (Required in the UK).

Looking forward to trying it out at my club with .45 ball to start with. Likely needing some advice on loads etc.

Nice to be among like minded folk.

Toby

Good afternoon All,

Back into shooting after several years abroad and managed to pick up a .45 Smoothbore percussion shotgun muzzleloader.

I've previously owned a New Model Army .38 revolver so some experience with black powder. Though I intend to use Pyrodex and eventually Triple 7 when I get my explosives certificate (Required in the UK).

Looking forward to trying it out at my club with .45 ball to start with. Likely needing some advice on loads etc.

Nice to be among like minded folk.

Toby
Howdy and welcome from the Colorado Rockies.

I lived in Suffolk for 3 years. Nice area.

Hi Toby, welcome from an Englishman living in France! Happily, over here BP weapons of any kind, smoothbore or rifles, are unrestricted, like air rifles in the UK. I remember, back in my days in the UK American Civil War Society, having to have a shotgun cert for my (smoothbore) Parker Hale Enfield, and a separate BP certificate for my powder. May I suggest that, if your gun is a .45 cal, you use the same number of grains in terms of powder and proceed from there? My long guns are both .45 Hawken replicas, and I find that 45 grains over 100 yards is perfectly adequate. May I ask why you plan to use Pyrodex? It is of course a matter of preference, but I find Pyrodex and other BP substitutes leave more residue, and are more prone to misfires due to their slightly higher ignition temperature.

Hi Toby, welcome from an Englishman living in France! Happily, over here BP weapons of any kind, smoothbore or rifles, are unrestricted, like air rifles in the UK. I remember, back in my days in the UK American Civil War Society, having to have a shotgun cert for my (smoothbore) Parker Hale Enfield, and a separate BP certificate for my powder. May I suggest that, if your gun is a .45 cal, you use the same number of grains in terms of powder and proceed from there? My long guns are both .45 Hawken replicas, and I find that 45 grains over 100 yards is perfectly adequate. May I ask why you plan to use Pyrodex? It is of course a matter of preference, but I find Pyrodex and other BP substitutes leave more residue, and are more prone to misfires due to their slightly higher ignition temperature.

You mean in SOME parts of UK. In Scotland you need an air weapons license, and in Northern Ireland, a 100% full firearms certificate, just like any other for real firearm. AND in England, Scotland and Wales, a full FAC for aything over 12ft lbs.... Not so unrestricted, after all.

I 100% agree with you and your comment about Pyrodex and T7 - and would be VERY loathe to use T7 in ANY antique firearm.

If the OP can be persuaded to use his Explosives Licence to obtain the real Black powder that this old piece was made for, it would make more sense to me.

And to the OP - welcome from Cambridgeshire!

Last edited:
Back