• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Height adjustment change for peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

32 Cal
Reaction score
Posted this in the flint lock section but thought I'll try here too. I have a Thompson center peep and sighting in at 85yds. Anyone have a ballpark idea on how much height change a one full turn or even down to 1/4 turn would give me?

There's a formula for figuring out how much to move irons to get a certain amount of correction and at what distance. You also need to know your sight radius.
Then it would come down to you measuring how much your peep sight moves when you adjust it for elevation. And of course having a starting point where you are hitting now.
I don't have the formula with me at the moment

Posted this in the flint lock section but thought I'll try here too. I have a Thompson center peep and sighting in at 85yds. Anyone have a ballpark idea on how much height change a one full turn or even down to 1/4 turn would give me?
Put up a large target.

Fire one shot.

Turn the knob one full turn and fire another shot.

Measure the distance between the two holes and you'll have your 1 full turn answer.

Divide that distance by four and you'll have your 1/4 turn answer.

The answers to these questions are solved by getting behind the rifle and burning powder and ball.

Here ya go. This will get you pretty close.

Everything is in inches. So:

Inches to move X sight radius /Divided by inches to target

So if you are 8" low at 85yds and your sight radius is 28"
8(28)=224/3060=0.0732 means you need to raise the rear sight a hair over 1/16"

So once you determine where it's hitting now, and how much one turn of your adjustment moves the rear sight...

Bob's your uncle :)

Here ya go. This will get you pretty close.

Everything is in inches. So:

Inches to move X sight radius /Divided by inches to target

So if you are 8" low at 85yds and your sight radius is 28"
8(28)=224/3060=0.0732 means you need to raise the rear sight a hair over 1/16"

So once you determine where it's hitting now, and how much one turn of your adjustment moves the rear sight...

Bob's your uncle :)
So let's see if I've got this right. My radius is 31" and saying the same 8" low , my adjustment per inch is about 1/64"

So let's see if I've got this right. My radius is 31" and saying the same 8" low , my adjustment per inch is about 1/64"

I'm not sure what you did there, but throwing a 31" sight r into the formula comes to 0.0810"
So that also means a touch over 1/16" total adjustment of either the raising the rear sight or lowering the front sight.
Not per inch.

That would have meant almost 1/8" total adjustment.
But you need something to accurately measure with to use this formula. Or at least to determine how much your peep sight adjusts per turn.
With a peep sight that can screw up or down I'd just turn it, lock it in place, and see how much the group moves.

Now that I know how small an adjustment can change P.O.I. I'll just tweak it . What do you mean scale?

I'm not sure what you did there, but throwing a 31" sight r into the formula comes to 0.0810"
So that also means a touch over 1/16" total adjustment of either the raising the rear sight or lowering the front sight.
Not per inch.
,0810 is correct but that is a tad over 5/64", that being .0781. Using a good caliper can set the sight but so can just shooting the rifle.

,0810 is correct but that is a tad over 5/64", that being .0781. Using a good caliper can set the sight but so can just shooting the rifle.

Yes.
And 5/64 is a tad over 4/64 ;)
He's adjusting an adjustable sight. Not cutting a dovetail. I'm just getting him in the ballpark.

Latest posts

Back