• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Rifles, What's All The Hoopla?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With some riders, horses and with most thin wrist rifles it can happen. But those riders, horses and rifles aren't going to make much of a career trapping in the mountains. The "I dropped my rifle" and "my horse rolled over it" folks aren't exactly the typical Hawken owners during that period.

I put a kit together for a relative. The hook breach and the key instead of pins is a great design. I like Long rifles but can see the advantage of these. If Kibler ever makes a kit with a suitable twist, I will get one. I will put a full buckhorn on it and shoot conicals, something I would not do with my Long Rifles, even if they we’re not coned.
why.

I've never owned or even fired one for that matter, but have noticed them around a lot and are extremely well-known in the black powder community, more so than any other model I've ever notice before.

What is it that makes it such a standard?
View attachment 160713
View attachment 160715
The Hawken as much of a standard as it was one of the best examples of the best made rifles for the plains trade.

We had the opportunity again to see many examples of the Hawken rifles at the rifle exhibit at the Hawken Classic held in St. Charles, MO this year. These rifles are classic in their apparent simplicity, but the architecture belies the simplicity in how they integrated all the features into a rifle that was in most regards in fit and performance too other rifles of the era. The Creamer, and Dimmick rifles made in St. Louis were comparable. But at a time when the Eastern Factory rifles by Henry, Leman, Tryon and others cost $6 to $9, Hawken Plains rifles were $26 and most of the people travelling west needed the extra money for supplies that one could eat.

These rifles pictured below are near bench replicas of Hawken Plains Rifles.

1716291589965.jpeg

1716291655624.jpeg

This is a photo of only one rack of rifles on display at the Hawken Classic. Seeing these rifles on display, one can begin to understand the "Hoopla" about these rifles.

1716292117055.jpeg

1716292153370.jpeg

There were racks of other St. Louis builders. There were racks with the Hawken "Squirrel Rifles" built for the local hunters and target shooters. There were Dimick and Gemmer target rifles. What an exhibit!

Last edited:
this is old thread. My eyes have gotten worse. I am going to peep sights.I no longer have a place to shoot long range so I have lost interest in a fast twist for conicals.
It would have been fun to shoot longer ranges with one. A vernier sight would have been more practical but with younger eyes one can use a buckhorn for different distances.

The standard was set by a movie, Jeremiah Johnson.
After that flick everyone had to have one.
2 companies were mass producing them Thompson center and Lyman others in Europe.

The Hawken as much of a standard as it was one of the best examples of the best made rifles for the plains trade.

We had the opportunity again to see many examples of the Hawken rifles at the rifle exhibit at the Hawken Classic held in St. Charles, MO this year. These rifles are classic in their apparent simplicity, but the architecture belies the simplicity in how they integrated all the features into a rifle that was in most regards in fit and performance too other rifles of the era. The Creamer, and Dimmick rifles made in St. Louis were comparable. But at a time when the Eastern Factory rifles by Henry, Leman, Tryon and others cost $6 to $9, Hawken Plains rifles were $26 and most of the people travelling west needed the extra money for supplies that one could eat.

View attachment 321687

View attachment 321688

This is a photo of only one rack of rifles on display at the Hawken Classic. Seeing these rifles on display, one can begin to understand the "Hoopla" about these rifles.

View attachment 321692

View attachment 321693

There were racks of other St. Louis builders. There were racks with the Hawken "Squirrel Rifles" built for the local hunters and target shooters. There were Dimick and Gemmer target rifles. What an exhibit!

Thanks for sharing! So you know who made the Atchison Hawken copy? That's quite the rifle to make a copy of and they did a great job

View attachment 321687

View attachment 321688

View attachment 321692

View attachment 321693

Beautiful rifles I love the one I built a kit Carson left handed from Track of the Woolf 54 caliber shoots 2” mos

View attachment 321687

View attachment 321688

View attachment 321692

View attachment 321693

I've never owned or even fired one for that matter, but have noticed them around a lot and are extremely well-known in the black powder community, more so than any other model I've ever notice before.

What is it that makes it such a standard?
View attachment 160713
View attachment 160715
I love all the rifles I have built but I have to say I like shooting the hawker the best 2” moa 100 yards. Track of the wolf left handed 54 caliber

Sage1, take a close look at the original and Bob Browner's copy of a Hawken half stock. Compare to the modern knock offs including Lyman Great Plains and Pedersolis. The present butt stock has the heel touching the ground and the toe up off the ground when the barrel and rifle is held vertically. The reproductions has the toe going well beyond where the heel ends. Good for hooking under the bicep for off hand shooting but not the same as the original. Curl at the end of the trigger guard differs whether early or late Hawken. Other than weight, the sturdy and short Hawken, even in full stock has been accurate and handy in the elk hunting woods and hitting targets at 200 yards. Beauty in a firearm for me is how it functions beyond aesthetic lines.

Thanks for sharing! So you know who made the Atchison Hawken copy? That's quite the rifle to make a copy of and they did a great job
As far as I know, the Atchison rifle was on the display of original Hawken Rifles. The only copies on display were properly identified on the associated cards.

View attachment 321687

View attachment 321688

View attachment 321692

View attachment 321693

Thank you for posting these photos, @Grenadier1758 . We are not likely to see a display like that anywhere else.

I understand the Hawken Classic will be repeated one more time, in 2025. I sincerely hope I can make it out there for that one. I don’t get out to distant events much, and I’ve missed all of the Hawken Classics so far. Maybe 2025 will be my year.

Your photos of the rifles and placards are excellent. Next best thing to being there. :thumb:

Notchy Bob

@Grenadier1758 I sure wish I could have been there to see it in person. That is a dandy. Were all the rifles on the same rack as the Atchison originals?
All those rifles on the rack were originals.

As I recall there were at least six other racks of original rifles.

@Notchy Bob, I will pass on your comment about the rifle display to the person who curated and convinced the rifle owners that this would be a good venue to display the rifles and made the placards for the displays.

All those rifles on the rack were originals.

As I recall there were at least six other racks of original rifles.

@Notchy Bob, I will pass on your comment about the rifle display to the person who curated and convinced the rifle owners that this would be a good venue to display the rifles and made the placards for the displays.

Amazing. I second that. If the display is present next year, I'll do my best to make it. Thank you very much for the photos and information

Please do! The displays shown are very professionally done. There is also a real art to designing explanatory signage, providing accurate and sufficient information about each rifle without getting bogged down in excessive verbiage, all in a clear and legible visual display. I can’t think of any way to improve what is shown in your photos, and the person or people responsible deserve recognition and commendation.

There was mention of a similar rack or display of additional, non-Hawken rifles made in Missouri. If there are photos available, it would be great to see them. Hawken rifles are certainly well represented in primary references for the trans-Mississippi frontier, but in my reading I have run across the term, “Missouri rifle,” multiple times. Hawken rifles were top-of-the-line, but there were literally hundreds of other very capable gunmakers in the state of Missouri during the same period. I’m glad some of them were represented at the Hawken Classic.

Notchy Bob

There is definitely a mystique about the Hawken rifle today and yesteryear. Something interesting is today there are far more Hawkens represented as a percentage of total guns in use than were back in the day and for guns that had a much higher percentage of guns in use back in the day it's far lower today..

Sage1, take a close look at the original and Bob Browner's copy of a Hawken half stock. Compare to the modern knock offs including Lyman Great Plains and Pedersolis. The present butt stock has the heel touching the ground and the toe up off the ground when the barrel and rifle is held vertically. The reproductions has the toe going well beyond where the heel ends. Good for hooking under the bicep for off hand shooting but not the same as the original. Curl at the end of the trigger guard differs whether early or late Hawken. Other than weight, the sturdy and short Hawken, even in full stock has been accurate and handy in the elk hunting woods and hitting targets at 200 yards. Beauty in a firearm for me is how it functions beyond aesthetic lines.
Not sure I understand correctly. The above photos are the Hawken original and right below is the Missouri State Rifle reproduction built by Bob Browner. To my eye the butt stocks are the same. I’m not clear on which reproduction you meant we’re not correct. The modern production guns, Pedersoli etc..I have to say these two rifles are my by far my favorites. Bob Browner just nailed it.
IMG_5316.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg

The Hawken Rifle was developed in the 1820s by Jacob and Samuel Hawken. These guys were trained by their father as rifle smiths on the East Coast, but they moved to St. Louis, Missouri, at the start of the Rocky Mountain fur trade. They opened a gun shop there in 1815 and developed the Hawken Rifle, also known as the "Rocky Mountain Rifle."
This rifle was specifically designed to meet the needs of fur trappers, traders, and explorers during that time. It was known for its quality and durability, which made it a popular choice for those who needed a reliable firearm in the wild.
So, the Hawken Rifle's reputation as a standard in the black powder community likely comes from its historical significance and its practicality for use in the rugged conditions of the American frontier.

Back