• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Classic Location Cancelled by the St. Charles County Parks Department

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We successfully completed the 2nd of 4 Hawken Classic events last month. The weather didn’t cooperate again this year, but the event was a huge success and we appreciate all the vendors, seminar speakers, and visitors. I heard nothing but positive comments from everyone I spoke to about the event, including many employees of the Parks Department.

Now for the bad news:

The St. Charles County Parks Department has decided that they do not want to host the Hawken Classic at the Daniel Boone Home any longer. They offered a one day shooting event, but this will not work for our vendors and participants. Event though we had a verbal commitment from them to host the event for all 4 years leading up to the 2025 anniversary they have decided they do not want to honor that commitment. We will begin looking for a venue that wants to share the wonderful history of St. Louis, The Hawken Shop, and the J & S Hawken rifle with the public. Please stay tuned for details as to how this event will continue.

One huge positive that resulted I believe at least partially due to the Hawken Classic is the Missouri State Rifle was named as the Hawken Rifle. Thank you to all that supported this effort and the overall effort of the Hawken Classic Event.

Is the woke generation putting a hurt on another event?

One local event at a State Park no longer allows shooting events inside the parks boundary…
It’s my understanding that this was the call of the parks new Park Ranger….😡

This particular event had been hosted at the same location for 20 + years..

Last edited:
No, the County Parks run it.
St. Charles County is run by a bunch of lefty, RINO Republicans. I think half are "educators". I would tell you to go contact the County Council before you give up, but I'm not sure you would get any traction. I don't know anyone personally on the Council. If it was St. Charles City I think I could get this reversed by talking to the Mayor. Letting Rep. Jeanie Riddle know may be at least an option.

Bob, I'm truly not surprised by the info. With all the rules and regulations they required for the first two events, I think they really didn't want to have the event at all.
I would have to agree with you. There list of reasons for not hosting it we’re mostly items they directly caused to use as excuses for not hosting it anymore.

Lindenwood is to shooting sports what The University of Alabama is to Football. They're a Division 1 shotguning dynasty that draws the best talent from across the country. They're probably more pro-gun than most Ag and Mining colleges. It's a shame it became a drag on their budget and they had to give it up.
https://lindenwoodlions.com/sports/clay

We successfully completed the 2nd of 4 Hawken Classic events last month. The weather didn’t cooperate again this year, but the event was a huge success and we appreciate all the vendors, seminar speakers, and visitors. I heard nothing but positive comments from everyone I spoke to about the event, including many employees of the Parks Department.

Now for the bad news:

The St. Charles County Parks Department has decided that they do not want to host the Hawken Classic at the Daniel Boone Home any longer. They offered a one day shooting event, but this will not work for our vendors and participants. Event though we had a verbal commitment from them to host the event for all 4 years leading up to the 2025 anniversary they have decided they do not want to honor that commitment. We will begin looking for a venue that wants to share the wonderful history of St. Louis, The Hawken Shop, and the J & S Hawken rifle with the public. Please stay tuned for details as to how this event will continue.

One huge positive that resulted I believe at least partially due to the Hawken Classic is the Missouri State Rifle was named as the Hawken Rifle. Thank you to all that supported this effort and the overall effort of the Hawken Classic Event.
The`re must be a radical liberal on their board?

Last edited:
My guess is THIS guy:
https://www.sccmo.org/2293/About-Us
As part of our 25th anniversary in 2022, we launch our new logo and tagline to better represent our mission: "built by nature. rooted in history. made for play."
That sounds like their mission statement was made for the Hawken Classic! Oh no, gunzzzz!

It was part of Lindenwood University before the St. Charles County Parks Department took it over.
Thanks Bob, I knew Maryville didn't sound right! I stopped being involved with that venue about the time they took over. I see the 2 gentlemen that saved the Zephania Sappington house are still involved.
(Bob and Barney)

The`re must be a radical liberal on their bord?
I'll give you a history of St. Charles, several years ago the Trappers muzzleloader club started a rendezvous in frontier park in St Charles it became a large crowd drawer. A couple of years later they kicked out the buckskinners in favor of more paid vendors now they call it " the festival of the little hills" it's all about the money!

I would have to agree with you. There list of reasons for not hosting it we’re mostly items they directly caused to use as excuses for not hosting it anymore.
Bob, I'm sorry if I were a party to this when I wrote the parks Dept and asked about the rule of no sales of muzzleloaders, but I have a history with this bunch.

A lot of Hawkens went up the Oregon trail, even before when it was just a Rendezvous supply trail.

I bet NE, or WY would be happy to host it.

Bob, I'm sorry if I were a party to this when I wrote the parks Dept and asked about the rule of no sales of muzzleloaders, but I have a history with this bunch.
They never used that as a reason but they don’t feel that rendezvous’ align with their mission statement. Our event was a history education event and that is what doesn’t align with their mission. We will find a better location that does support American History.

I remember going to Fort Belfontaine (sp)about 19-20 years ago for the vous that they had , they had the Corps of Discovery there as well and a nice little shoot. Could the Hawken Classic be moved there? It seems closest.

They never used that as a reason but they don’t feel that rendezvous’ align with their mission statement. Our event was a history education event and that is what doesn’t align with their mission. We will find a better location that does support American History.
The buck skinners didn't align with their mission at Frontier Park either. The last time I went to that one when I got to Frontier Park they told me that the buck skinners were to set up at the graveyard on Boones Lick Rd. I turned around and went home.

Back