• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawk or Camp Axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegro1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering what people prefered, a camp axe, polled hawk(with a squared hammer on other end) or a straight hawk like a pipehawk or spike hawk. I carry a pipehawk and my son a camp axe so we're covered when out trekking. Just our choices.

I prefer a small, polled camp ax. I think it is more versatile. I use it to split kindling, split a deer's pelvis, drive in stakes, clear brush out of shooting lanes, crack walnuts, and as a last resort defense against savages and wild beasts.

Does anyone actually smoke with their pipe hawks?

Rancocas said:
Does anyone actually smoke with their pipe hawks?

I don't, but I have seen it done. Of course, I ain't saying what they were smoking, though.

Here's my "Shrew Hawk". This is a handy little hawk/ax with a hammer pole that is small enough to carry with you and not be left in camp.

Mike Nesbitt did a product review about it in Muzzleloader magazine, issue before last.

PICT0521.JPG

IMG_1246.jpg

I just got this small polled tomahawk from TOW .. have not had time to do much with it yet, but I plan to in the near future! :thumbsup:

I think the pipehawks displayed here by members are real beauties but I do not smoke, and so the polled style makes more sense for me anyway!

Davy :hmm: :hatsoff:

I prefer the polled hawk, I carry mine everywhere i go. I carry it in the field with an F & I type carrige system that also carries a bayonet. I use it constantly when out in the field for every chore from wood and brush cutting to butchering moose, it also works for knocking down ptarmigan and knocking big salmon on the head.I consider this as an indispensible tool to carry.

Davy, Mighty sharp :shocked2: looking utensil you picked up. Looks like it will get the job done, and with a little style too :thumbsup:

O carry a hawk when I am out. Normally it does everything. But when I am deer hunting, I have a bucket I keep in the car that carries a lot of gear I only use for gutting and skinning deer. One item is a small, 4 oz. head, Ft. Meigs axe. I use that to cut the sternum, and the hip girdle on the deer, so I don't bugger the edge on my cutting and skinning knife. The Ft. Meigs axe has a very short handle, only about 9 inches long, as its not needed for cutting large diameter anything, and I get all the power needed to make it do its work with that short length handle.

Spike hawk? I've made several, but would not carry one. They are designed for war. And that "spike" just gets in the way when using it as a tool.

Pipe hawk? Never made any and have not carried one. Again, their mainly a war or cerimonial design. And that bowl interfers with using it as a tool.

Depending upon the time period of any event, or when out on my own, I carry what is called a British Light Infantry Axe by Jas. Townsend. It's basically a heavy hammer poll hawk. That extra weight helps a lot - when I'm not hauling along a half-axe or full axe.

At most events I would attend, I would have along a round-eye no-poll hawk, and a similar large axe. But that's because they fit into the time periods and geographical areas that I am focusing on.

That squared poll on a hawk or axe tend to start showing up in quantities in the late 1700's and moreso in the 1800's. Versions existed before then, but the that hammer poll just tends to be a later development.

Recently, I've been toying around making some classic wrapped-eye axes out of all wrought iron - with no steel cutting bit. And I'm going to do the same with some hawks. These replicate the trade axes of the 1600's on into the early to mid 1700's. Interesting project. And I'm being surprised and impressed at how well they work and hold a "usable" cutting edge. They are following the good example of the all wrought iron knives I have made and used, and those that some friends have made/used. And NO, we are not having to stop and sharpen them every few cuts as many think we would. So I no longer believe in that Old "notion" that you need a steel cutting bit in an axe or knife.

So I have my "preferences" in a hawk or axe, but mostly I carry what would historically fit into the time period and geographical area that I am reenacting at the moment.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterland

I like the "English Issue" style polled axe IF I am going to be setting up camp, feeding a fire overnight or making an "official" ground blind for hunting. For just general camp work, day treks, lopping off a few branches for a comfy spot on a Hemlock to lean against when hunting and perhaps a lunch fire I much prefer the rifleman's knife. My most used knife is a 5-1/2" deep-bladed general purpose that does patches, field dressing, skinning and most other cutting chores very well (as well as knapping the gun flint with the spine).

Haversackandcutlery.jpg

Now, if it were 1777 and I might run into hostiles that hand axe or tomahawk might be sorely missed.

Hey Ron,

Is she a good thrower?

I find myself collecting more and more hawks for 3 main reasons. camp use, throwing, and looks. This one looks like she can do all 3.

To the question asked does anyone actually smoke their pipehawk, yes i did several times but that was to put a nice burn look into the bowl, since I smoke an irish clay pipe. I use my pipehawk alot for camp chores but my son's camp axe does the most the heavy work, my pipehawk fits with my F&I War persona in trekking and re-enacting.
How do I load pictures here?

XXX said:
Hey Ron,

Is she a good thrower?

I find myself collecting more and more hawks for 3 main reasons. camp use, throwing, and looks. This one looks like she can do all 3.

Throw away your weapon or toss it to the enemy? That's too much good sportsmanship. I'd rather hold on to it and whack 'em with it. :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
Throw away your weapon or toss it to the enemy? That's too much good sportsmanship. I'd rather hold on to it and whack 'em with it. :wink:

True, but you can't have people whacking each other with hawks,( imagine the scoring :shocked2: ) at rendezvous.

Holy smokes NWTF Longhunter, how sharp are they? You really hurt yourself putting 'em out for a pic! :haha: :haha:

I've used mine to dress deer and remove the feet and heads from small game as well as smoking an occasional bowl of kinikinnick.
The head of this one is a copy of the tomahawk given to James Galloway by Techumseh.

PipeTomahawk.jpg

Regards, Dave

Back