• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawk handles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
Just rereadind this thread. I was a thinking about hickory. It’s our go to handle wood with ash as a second place. But I have oft wondered about elm. Elm was used for cannon carriages and later engin mountings until Dutch elm killed off so many. I’ve cut some elm and it out toughs hickory. I’ve looked at a few small elms and thought ”˜handles on the hoof’ ,hmmm.

Wow, Dutch Elm disease destroyed most Elm where I have lived, but I have to admit I haven't really looked for it for some time.

It is said that Elm used to be the preferred wood in many areas for shovel and rake handles, while hickory was used for smaller tool handles. I'm not entirely sure why, though.

Gus

Elm has interlocking grain that makes it very difficult to split, I believe. If you are making a tool handle that needs a pin through it or takes a tang up its centerline, then elm would make sense.

I have made a more than a few axe handles (some hawks) and by far Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) is the only finish I will ever put on a working handle. easy to refresh and never slippery and get better looking with time.

Slight change of subject, anyone know a supplier that sells round hawk handles?

Didnt see them at CC and the other place looks like all kinds of fun stuff, but I think I'll still wind up with a drawknife when it warms up a little

Course it is better to make your own. I had trouble finding hickory blanks for the price of finished hawk handles at CC and House Handle. This way I could forge more and spend less time making handles

Latest posts

Back