• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HATFIELD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had an old Hatfield Squirrel Rifle back in the mid 80’s I picked up at their shop in Missouri. I sold it years ago and kick myself for it now. It had a beautiful stock but otherwise was pretty simple. Heck of a shooter though.

Are those still out there?

They are and Pedersoli is making their version of it.
The Pedersoli currently for sale is what made me think of it. It looks really nice. I’d like to see one of the old ones again. The Missouri shop was just a few hours from me.

I don't have a full picture, but here is an old one, serial number 018. Mine is a .50

Attachments

• 20230330_181328.jpg
    20230330_181328.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230330_181136.jpg
    20230330_181136.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mine had an oil rubbed finish and was very dark.
The barrel and lock were browned, and I don’t remember it having brass.
It was new but looked 100 years old.

I had the flint version with the grade III wood (it had to be ordered and took 8 months to get). It was an outstanding shooter that cost me the princely sum of $300.00! A good friend coveted it and after many years of whining, I finally gave it to him for Christmas one year. He did nothing but "gripe" about the set triggers (he was too stupid to grasp the concept) and had his "gunsmith" alter the trigger assembly to be a "regular" trigger. He finally sold it (sadly) for a couple of hundred dollars. I took great "joy" in letting him know what he had gotten rid of was really worth. I haven't given the fool anything since.

Last edited:
Sadly I resemble that fool.
My "buddy" "personalizes" (mangles) each and avery firearm he owns-I should have known better. His brother (God rest his soul) would give him a "high end firearm" every year (for Christmas) only to have him sell each and every one. I DO still have the Burnside that I managed to wrangle from him before he was able to destroy it-it is in nearly mint condition!

I have a Hatfield flint in .50 cal, a rare gun in the UK. I like the quote that says ‘It’s new but it looks 100 years old’ very appropriate.
I got it at their shop in Missouri. It was a beautiful stock but there was a small repair on the fore stock. You had to look for it but it was there. It was a good deal and never bothered me.

Latest posts

Back