• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harpers Ferry Model 1803 Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on The Rifle Shoppes’ Harpers Ferry, my second one is on the bench now…
Ordered an HF pistol from them last month- only 11 more months to wait!!
I’ve been waiting 2 1/2 years for a Harpers Ferry 1805 pistol parts set that I ordered back in November 2020. Hopefully not too much longer!

Mine is a Euroarms .54, once the Davis lock went on it was awesome.

Stripped the finish and stained the stock dark. Wiped off that fake brown on the barrel and browned it (and rubbed it back to worn steel look).

Silver front sight and it’s a great gun.
A friend left me one of these when he died.

I'd like to use it to whack a deer, or elk for him.

What do I need to know about the lock?

The mainspring is likely to break. No factory parts. If you send the lock to one of the folks that specializes in locks have them replace both springs.

The replacement Davis took a little fitting, not bad though.

IMG_9753.jpeg
IMG_9752.jpeg
IMG_9755.jpeg

I bought a Euroarms 1803 earlier this spring and it has been trouble free......

I got the Kibler Woodsrunner at about the same time and the 1803 hasn't been shot but about three times :p

I guess I should probably dig it out of the clutter and see what is wrong with it. I will say it went off all three times but I do not like how the frizzen only partially opens, have thought about grinding the toe (whatever it is called) off the frizzen so it opens further but I have been occupied with getting the Woodsrunner dialed in.

So little time, maybe later this week.

These are very handy for hunting.

What is needed to know about the lock? Who made the lock? Does it reliably spark? Do the sparks mostly drop in the pan? Is the touch in a reasonable position for ignition? Does the pan open when the flint strikes it?

Once you have the lock function well in hand, do you have an accurate on target load developed? A 0.54 caliber ball pushed by 60 or more grains of powder will be successful on deer.

The mainspring is likely to break. No factory parts. If you send the lock to one of the folks that specializes in locks have them replace both springs.

The replacement Davis took a little fitting, not bad though.

I’ve made mainsprings for this lock, easy to do. Problem is the bridle and sear, they’re both usually misaligned and there is no integral pin to keep the bridle stationary, ironically this is an issue i see most commonly on Indian made locks.

To fix the the lock, I’ve welded up the bridle and added an integral pin and then aligned the bridle to the plate holes with a mill for near perfect alignment, the lock works great when corrected, very reliable lock however in its factory state, not good at all.

I’ve made mainsprings for this lock, easy to do. Problem is the bridle and sear, they’re both usually misaligned and there is no integral pin to keep the bridle stationary, ironically this is an issue i see most commonly on Indian made locks.

To fix the the lock, I’ve welded up the bridle and added an integral pin and then aligned the bridle to the plate holes with a mill for near perfect alignment, the lock works great when corrected, very reliable lock however in its factory state, not good at all.

Yes. I knew there were geometry problems as well, but mine didn’t last long enough to manifest them. I got it second hand and the spring broke quickly.

Can I just send you my lock and have you overhaul it?

Back