• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hard time driving ball down barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Shortell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I finally got my Hawken style rifle ready to shoot and took it to the range. It shot great, but it was very difficult driving the ball down the barrel. I actually had to hammer on the ball starter tool to get it in the first few inches. Then if I didn't run a cleaning patch down the barrel after every shot I couldn't get the ball all the way down without tapping the ramrod with a hammer.

The barrel is an H & H 50 caliber. I am using .490 round balls with pre lubed patches from T/C.

Do some barrels take smaller 50 caliber balls? Should I find thinner patches? Any suggestions?

Also, the end of the barrel is is cut off square. Would it help if I counter sank the inside a bit to make it easier to start the ball?

H&H was a top of the line barrel maker in the 70s and may still be making barrels as far as I know.

Are there 3-4 holes in the end of the barrel between the bore and the lands? If so this was a false muzzled barrel made to be loaded with tight ball and patch combo thru the false muzzle.

If there are no holes for the false muzzle or if there are and the falsmuzzle is not available, the barrel should be crowned.

My .50s all use/used .495 balls and .018 patch material. I did and still do wipe between shots - mostly for consistancy and therefore accuracy. The fact that it makes loading easier and also cleaning after the days shooting easier is a plus.
TC

mic your patches and then go down from there if 20 tho go to 12 or 15 tho till you can load with your rod and hands

ya didn't say your patch thickness. I got a 20 year old cva that is still realy tight to get a .015 patch and ball in. so I use a .012 patch I cut from drill cloth I get at the fabric store. then I lube them with olive oil. I my self would try a thinner patch first. and see if that don't help. you may have to work your load up are down again to get it to group for you though. rawhide.

The muzzle must be crowned.
Barrel should have been cleaned well to remove all rush inhibitor. If it is straight cut rifling I would use a bronze .050 cal bore brush every time I cleaned it.
Sounds like too thick a patch. If using .020's, try a .015. If using a .015 try a .010.
Patches may need additional lube.
Don't assume because it is a .50 cal that it takes a .490 ball. Could be a lil small on the bore & need a .480 or a .485 ball.
You are using real BP ? If not, can't help ya as I don't shoot SUBS.

Keith Lisle

A liquid patch lube might help, too. Something about humidity, black powder and bore butter. If you have any Hoppes, squirt some on your patches. That helped with my Bobcat. Stumpy's 'Moose Juice' is what i use now.

You might consider conning the barrel as another option. If you look in the archives you'll find a lot of information pertaining to conning. Works for me...............

My first guess (and the easiest to do) is to try thinner patches.

I've got three .50 caliber rifles... a flintlock and two percussion caplocks. All three rifles "like" a .490" Hornady, swagged rifle ball and a 16/1000ths patch (loose measurement).

The "tight" measurement of the patch (gotten by screwing your micrometers down HARD against the cloth) is 6/1000ths. That combination of patch and ball is a common load for a .50 caliber rifle.

Since the .490" ball is most common for a .50 caliber rifle and the easiest to find in gun/reloading stores, I'd change the patch thickness rather than the ball size.

This combination works very well with a liberal amount of lubrication.

You should not have to pound your patched ball down the barrel. As previously mentioned, it sounds like your patch is too thick.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I second the thinner patch suggestion (and maybe with that try a "sloppier" lube). My daughters experienced this same problem when they shoot my rifles with nominal patch/ball tightness. These girls are just too small to get the ball down the barrel without alot of huffing and puffing and eye rolling. I came up with a really thin patch, but the thin material wouldn't hold up when firing, so I added a felt Wonder Wad under the ball and it solved the problem. Easy to load, good accuracy and power, and the patches hold together.

You may have trouble finding thin patch material that will withstand the "BOOM", but adding a felt wad may be your answer. Bill

Back