• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

handgonne/axe combo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i was going to make a gonne with a hook on the bottom for shooting over a wall but then thought a tomahawk like blade would be pretty cool. did they ever have axe gonne combos? even if they didnt i will still probably make one but i was just wondering. unfortunately i wont be able to start for about a month though i was just told i am having surgery monday :(

maybe something like this
IMG_3586.jpg
[/img]

Yes, there were such combinations.

Here's a mace/.69 handgonne I designed and a forum member made.

mace.JPG

macehead.jpg

Booms with authority.

Here is one of mine. It's a medevil 'pole axe' concept . I will cast one in bronze someday.

S/B fun ,it would be about .54 /.62 caliber wise. Sorry it didn't want to post right side up.

Gary (RocklockI)

PoleAxegonne003_zpsca5328a6.jpg

i have always liked the idea of combo weapons. sword pistols, mace gonnes, and short barreled muskets with axe heads.

ive always wanted a gonne and a mace gonne would be even better.

-matt

freekforge said:
way to go now i have to buy more steel :haha: what size hex is that and how long is it?

The head is 9" oal, 2" atf, .75" x 2" socket depth, with a bore depth is 6".

This is a weighty piece. This piece really booms with a salute load of 100 grains of FFG, topped off with some flour.

Remember, I am ogre size, 5'10", 265lbs and can handle the recoil of a 4 bore live fire handgonne. That's 125 grains of fffg, pushing a .990 lead ball.

I have a design for a .75 using 1.5" hex which would be lighter.

Remember tomahawk heads have a tapered hole, wider at the top, than at the bottom. This will have to be drill to a straight wall and pinned to the gonne barrel. Or heated up and fitted to a straight mandrel. Then, pinned to the gonne.

Yes I too like the combo thing with Axe/gonne , Mace/gonne ,sword/gun . Unfortunatly they usually are neither fish nor fowl, and a compromise all around.

Gary

i am going to make a drift on the lathe that has a taper that matches the taper of the rear taper (like a "loki" but with less of a taper) that way the taper of the eye of the tomahawk matches that of the gonne so if swung it will only get tighter like a tomahawk does. I also might try and cool the gonne and heat up the tomahawk head (while avoiding overheating the bit) when i put them together to get a more secure fit. i did a job like that for a semi place last year and couldnt get the parts to move when a taper is combined with the cool and heat technique.

claypipe, just checked my email thank you very much i will try and get one made after i am allowed back in the garage after my surgery. i cant wait to get started i will need that when the zombies come :shocked2:

if i had to guess i would say thats a boarding axe and it been one mean looken boarding axe!

-matt

It seems more ergonomic than most others I've seen. They are usually clumsy, awkward looking weapons/tools.

On another website someone built a boarding pistol/axe that looks a lot like that one. The one he copied was Swedish. Apparently that style was fairly common. The Swedish original didn't come with a ramrod. One shot and then start swinging.

Many Klatch

Back