• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hand mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snidervolley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
wasnt quite sure where to place this one ?
but want to build one of these next

HANDMORTAR_zps27e7a243.jpg

agreed this a a theatrical model in above pic for sure but there was thin walled cups that latched on like a bayonet that where thinwalled but better steal was used ,i'll dig up a pic
hangmort_zpsabe530b4.jpg

I bought one of the Veteran's latest big bore one's. It is very nice. Wish I had a pic to share with its russet F&I Godwin sling, early Grenadier's Match Case, halberd, and grenadoes. Some day I'll share...

alden
veteran is out of stock doa! are you hapy with it( the wood is it nice walnut ?0 and what do shoot etc etc

snidervolley said:
alden
veteran is out of stock doa! are you hapy with it( the wood is it nice walnut ?0 and what do shoot etc etc

A friend of mine has one it is some sort of Indian hardwood not walnut lock functions ok after I tuned it for him overall a nice peice...

391587498.jpg

391587450.jpg

I have had this sitting around for a couple of years... a Rifle shop barrel I purchaced from another builder one of these days I'll get it stocked up... Project #102......

I would love to try one of those for mortar competitions , would they fire a solid ball?, I am supposing they would be fired kneeling with the butt on the ground ?

1601phill said:
I would love to try one of those for mortar competitions , would they fire a solid ball?, I am supposing they would be fired kneeling with the butt on the ground ?

I don’t think you want to fire kneeling with the butt on the ground... you are too close to the thing that way between the flash from the pan and the back blast at the muzzle something’s going to get burned at best at worst debris in eyes and a trip to the emergency room.... That's why mortars are fired with a linstock or friction primers to get the body away from the muzzle.... these were intended to be fired from the shoulder..

1601phill said:
I would love to try one of those for mortar competitions , would they fire a solid ball?
If I understand correctly, you'd want to find what material would give a solid ball with the weight of a hollow cast-iron grenade, maybe aluminum, or else something like a sand-filled tennis ball? I've heard that zinc or zinc-based "pot metal" alloys are used in lieu of cast iron in cannon shot, as the density is similar, but casting temperature is more reasonable.
1601phill said:
I am supposing they would be fired kneeling with the butt on the ground ?
As has been mentioned, you likely want to keep exposed body parts back behind the muzzle, so shoulder or butt-under-the-armpit only. You're not going to be able to use the improvised indirect-fire technique sometimes used with the M79 - tape marks on the sling for different range, with the butt on the ground and your foot on the appropriate tape mark. Besides, with this launcher, that might be rough on the toe of the stock.

Regards,
Joel

2-3/4" 'round Grenadoes are what Grenadiers once threw (lit by burning matchcord in their distinguishing matchcases) and what was fired out of the hand mortar as well as from the stone, or Coehorn, mortar. I have sand-filled painted plastic replicas from Loyalist and one from Veteran's for display only. Twisted fuse, wooden plug, thick black paint and all... Flaming tennis balls would be nice from the Hand Mortar and from my same-bored Coehorn one can do the same and even the ever popular cement-filled beer cans if you like...

Back