• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had a good day.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't Hunted in 2 years due to work and other commitments. Got out last Saturday for my 2nd hunt of the year and caught up with this small 6 point. Thats a 10 Ga. DP loaded witth 80 G. Pyrodex Select, a 1/8" felt wad, 12 000 buckshot with a thin overshot card. About 10 yards from a ladder stand down by the creek. Now that I have some meat in the freezer, I'll be looking for his daddy or maybe thinning out some of the old does.
6 point 09-30-2023.jpg

Congrats! Don't see many buckshot kills posted.
I grew up on shotguns and buckshot. 95% of the deer I have killed were with shotguns. Have killed deer at 300 and 350 yards with rifles but that's more like sniping or high stakes target shooting and not hunting. Haven't shot at a deer over 30 yards in years and the last one that far was with a bow.
12 000 buck at 10 yards! bet that made a hole! blood trail 2 feet long?
nice sxs and nice buck. tender loin for supper?
Just dropped right there no kick no flop no wiggle. Much overkill in hindsight, would have no problem going after black bear with that load.
Bertha and a swarm of 000 at ten yards!
No contest!
Good for you sir 😊
She proved her point for sure.

Just dropped right there no kick no flop no wiggle. Much overkill in hindsight, would have no problem going after black bear with that load.
The accumulative effect.
Many make the mistake at looking at the individual kinetic energy of a single pellet.
That is not how it works.
It's the multiple hits that add up and must add up for it to work.

Most people think scatter gun and just "fire for affect", I tell everyone "you have to aim that thing not just close your eyes and jerk the trigger. Also don't shoot any farther than you can keep the whole load in the vital area. Whatever range you can keep all the pellets in an 18"circle is your maximum range for deer sized game.

Latest posts

Back