• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

h&a minuteman flintlock rifle 45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure was a beauty mike! and beyond my skill level for sure. someday i will run across one where someone needs the dough or are tired of it

I purchased a minuteman back in the late 60's. It was a .45cal. with a one-piece stock and a Numrich barrel. Shot OK, but the frizzen was not hardened correctly on mine, and the lock timing left something to be desired. Back then, Dixie came out a replacement lock which dropped right in the lock mortice. Worked MUCH better. Of course the short-comings on the Minuteman were typical of factory-type muzzleloaders back then. It would be interesting if Dixie still offers this lock replacement? Anyway, good luck with it.

I purchased a minuteman back in the late 60's. It was a .45cal. with a one-piece stock and a Numrich barrel. Shot OK, but the frizzen was not hardened correctly on mine, and the lock timing left something to be desired. Back then, Dixie came out a replacement lock which dropped right in the lock mortice. Worked MUCH better. Of course the short-comings on the Minuteman were typical of factory-type muzzleloaders back then. It would be interesting if Dixie still offers this lock replacement? Anyway, good luck with it.

curious, mine has plenty of spark and fires right away. maybe i have the replacement lock already. im gonna see if i can find a pic of how it was offered on the net. :blah:

True, the original lock appeared to use a lot of stamped parts and was sort of flimsy. I got one cheap because a guy had built it from a kit and had messed it up a bit. I was able to correct most of his mistakes and it ended up looking pretty good. I first replaced the lock with the Dixie version and, still not satisfied, converted it to percussion. It shot fair, not a tack driver but OK.
I think the style is not far from that of a fur trade era trade rifle as produced by several Pennsylvania makers and which were the principle arms of the mountainmen. Kinda wish I'd kept that one but I needed cash, and it was a bit heavy.

did the original have floral like engraving?
my h&a has a engraved lock not a big deal just wondering if its original

Way back in the dim, dark past of the 19(censored)'s the Minuteman was about all that was out there except for Dixie's early belgium made rifles. Took a while to figure out that the frizzens might be a bit soft and the sprins could stand lightening some but, in time, the greybeard league finally got things hpping. Also took a while to figure out that just because they were advertised as .36 and .45 that .375" and .450" wouldn't work! What a dim lot we were!! After some well applied swearing it finally dawned on us that .440" or .445" would do the trick in the .45 and .350" for the .36. After that, old Davy and Dan'l got some company in the rocklock world. All the bunnies and limb-chickens in south Texas sure had their peace and quiet ruined!! Yee-hah!!!!!!!!! :rotf:

I bought one of these in kit form back in 1974 when I first got into muzzleloading. It was reliable and accurate. Some folks complained about the lock, but mine was a good one and extremely reliable.

Latest posts

Back