• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Eutycus , I have to multi-quote here just to try to grasp the concept of your topic.
1. "We are discussing Western Movies on another forum"
2. "I seriously doubt"
3. "I was under the impression"
4. "powder sticks that Eastwood is using in some of his movies."
Do you guy's get that part yet?

Now here it is; @Eutycus ,?
How is our forum of interest in the use of traditional firearms and supported history,,
,, supposed to help you with defining Hollywood entertainment from reality?

Impact detonation of true BP is capable and real as proven by and in sadness of wartime history. Dynomite/TNT are not BP related nor is the discussion of explosives needed for or within the forums standards.

@Eutycus , I have to multi-quote here just to try to grasp the concept of your topic.
1. "We are discussing Western Movies on another forum"
2. "I seriously doubt"
3. "I was under the impression"
4. "powder sticks that Eastwood is using in some of his movies."
Do you guy's get that part yet?

Now here it is; @Eutycus ,?
How is our forum of interest in the use of traditional firearms and supported history,,
,, supposed to help you with defining Hollywood entertainment from reality?

Impact detonation of true BP is capable and real as proven by and in sadness of wartime history. Dynomite/TNT are not BP related nor is the discussion of explosives needed for or within the forums standards.
In slight defense, many of us have used dynamite as targets for many years.

in my mid teens i was a monkey for a powder boss. his favorite thing was to lay a few sticks of 50% in the campfire at night. we usually had the fire all to our selves in about 10 seconds.
I have personally set off half sticks with a bullet from a centerfire rifle.
after about 1970 we switched to anfo. we used 1/4 sticks for ignition.
BP in a metal can could be set off with a bullet if the velocity was enough to create a hot enough spall.
i have shot holes in a soft steel plate with a cast bullet from a 3030 that created hot enough spall to start a grass fire.

From Highschool Chemestry, I remember that most explosions either dynamite or Black Powder are simply rapid exothermic chemical reactions, releasing stored chemical energy. In any chemical reaction, there is a minimum energy of activation. That threshold can be reached by thermal, electrical, kinetic, even magnetic energy. If thermal energy of a percussion cap can reach this threshold, why wouldn't the kinetic energy of a rifle bullet?

We are discussing Western Movies on another forum. Two of the John Wayne/ Dean Martin movies were mentioned. In "Rio Bravo" thrown dynamite is detonated by shooting it. That can't happen, it takes blasting caps. In the movie "The Sons of Katie Elder" a can of gunpowder is set off by a gunshot from John Wayne. Could that have happened?

Interesting topic.
Interesting to hear from people here who dealt with such things.
I remember as a teenager going to an estate auction near Aladdin Wyoming,

They found an old case of what they were referring to as Dynamite in one of the buildings and the sheriff's deputy came out and wrapped some police line do not cross and then he had to stand there next to it all day to keep people out.

I remember crawling around in the rafters of the building looking for old guns because I had heard people say that people hid their guns up in the rafters of the buildings so that when they were out working someone wouldn't come by and steal their gun as that was about the only thing they had of value that could be carried off by thieves,

I remember people in my family talking about in the mid 1900 some of those old buildings on the abandoned ranches and homesteads had guns in them but they weren't interested in old guns and never took them.

Did not find a gun😕 but I did find a flask shaped glass whiskey bottle up there, I remember when I climbed down there was an old guy that lived down on the Belle fourche who went around the auctions buying old machinery that he would resell for scrap,

He was telling how when he was a teenager him and his friends would come to this ranch and while everybody was out working they would go around to the buildings, the graineries , machine sheds and barns and find where the old man had hidden his bottles of whiskey,
and they would drink his whiskey .
and then they would pee in the bottles and put them back in the hiding places.

Last edited:
Interesting topic.
Interesting to hear from people here who dealt with such things.
I remember as a teenager going to an estate auction near Aladdin Wyoming,

They found an old case of what they were referring to as Dynamite in one of the buildings and the sheriff's deputy came out and wrapped some police line do not cross and then he had to stand there next to it all day to keep people out.

I remember crawling around in the rafters of the building looking for old guns because I had heard people say that people hid their guns up in the rafters of the buildings so that when they were out working someone wouldn't come by and steal their gun as that was about the only thing they had of value that could be carried off by thieves,

I remember people in my family talking about in the mid 1900 some of those old buildings on the abandoned ranches and homesteads had guns in them but they weren't interested in old guns and never took them.

Did not find a gun😕 but I did find a flask shaped glass whiskey bottle up there, I remember when I climbed down there was an old guy that lived down on the Belle fourche who went around the auctions buying old machinery that he would resell for scrap,

He was telling how when he was a teenager him and his friends would come to this ranch and while everybody was out working they would go around to the buildings, the graineries , machine sheds and barns and find where the old man had hidden his bottles of whiskey,
and they would drink his whiskey .
and then they would pee in the bottles and put them back in the hiding places.
I was at a gun show in Nebraska years ago and a farmer came in to sell a Winchester 32 special he said he found in a pig pen. It wasn't in too rough a shape. So I believe the folks who came before stashing guns like you mentioned.

There are different "types" of dynamite, the kind of explosive it's made from, that is. I know one method was to infuse clay or some other material with nitro glycerine. The nitro had/has a habit of slowly leaking out of the substrate rendering the dynamite very unstable. A bullet can set it off as can simply dropping a stick of it. Carefully check any old dynamite found - it's happened before - for wet or sticky paper or sticks that are stuck together. Never shoot at dynamite :rolleyes: or the empty box/bin it came from. :doh:

Last edited:
When I was a kid, a farmer friend of my father said he came from the storage shed and found his 6 sticks Dynamite had sweated. He called the sheriff's office and told them he was going to move them to a safe place and shoot them with his 30-06. It left a good size hole in the ground, but at least he cleared the stump. In its normal state, it takes a blasting cap, but sweated dynamite can, and will explode easily.

Back