• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

grizzly hide usefull?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a little grizz hide in the freezer still from last year. I was just gonna get it tanned. It was pretty rubbed up.

Anyway, I think tanning was gonna run me a couple of hundred. This bear is probably 6 foot or so.

Could this hide be used for making shooting bags, clothing ect? Would the 200 bucks be justified in using this hide versus buying comercial skin?

I would really like to use this skin instead of just hanging it up.

I suppose you make this into leather just like making deer hide into leather?

Heres a couple of quivers I made from a buffalo hide just to give you an idea what can be done..

2210976110063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2497389130063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice work RickD,

I didn't know there was buff in Georgia, How about driving a couple of them over into Bama. :rotf:

Why don't you try tanning it yourself? You could take the rubbed spots and tan them fur off and the rest tanned fur on. It sounds like you don't have a lot to loose if things don't go right, and you'll learn how to tan hides. If you do tan it, let me know. I need a piece of fur on about 2"x3".

Yeah, I might give it a go. Was thinking I could make a cool shooting bag out of it. Use the paw for the flap.

I have been trying to look up info on do it yourself tanning, I dont neccasarily want to mess with brains nor bark.

I remember from way back when I was a kid I tanned some muskrats with borax and vinegar but dont remember exactly how it was done.

Id be happy to give out some pieces when I am finished.

Latest posts

Back