• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green River Rifle Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1980, I went into town to buy a suit for work and had to pass Roy Alexander & Sons Gunsmiths in Perth Western Australia and they had a USA made GRRW half-stock Leman rifle in .54 cal. So I went home with the rifle and no suit. I still have that rifle and it is a great shooter. Since that time, Alan Vaisham from GRRW Australia has made me a J & S Hawkin full stock flintlock rifle in .50 cal, a copy of Jim Bridger’s halfstock Hawkin rifle in .54 cal and a Jacob Dickert Lancaster County Pennsylvania longrifle. These are all superb rifles. I am getting back into muzzlelaoding again after 13 years and I am looking forward to shooting these rifles again. One of these days I will photograph my guns and post them on the net.

Regards

Doc Carver
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

REALLY A GOOD IDEA,the pic's of Hawkens , lets start another Hawken pic site, I know Claude will love me for this one....if ya was around here a year ago ect(after 2000 views he'd cut it off because it was gumming up the works.) :rotf: FRED :hatsoff:

I better jump in here, I am relatively new to muzzleloaders, I started out with the Sharps rifles back 9 yrs. ago and while I still enjoy them I have fallen in luv with muzzleloaders.
I built one flintlock from TOW and it is a fine shooter.
Recently I purchased a .50 percussion half stock Leman GRRW with Neill Fields maker mark on it.
I took it to the range yesterday and the 1st shot @ 50 yrds hit dead bulls-eye. So besides being a beautiful rifle it is a great shooter.
I will be on the scout for any rifle Mr. Fields made.

Neill is a good friend of mine and a great builder. He has now built more than 400 muzzleloading firearms. Tomorrow we go over into Deep Creek for Xmas day dinner with a couple of other friends who also worked at the old Green River Rifle Works. Too much snow and too cold to do any shooting, but we have frequent shoots.

Herb, please tell Mr. Fields that one of his beautiful works has found a good home down in the Texas Hill country.
Merry Christmas
Neely

I told him about your post and that pleased him. While we were at this party, his stock supplier from Tennessee phoned him and he ordered a couple of high grade stock blanks for his next two rifles. He told me he really likes the .40 x 13/16" x 44" Ed Rayl barrel I let him have recently. It really shoots good. He works so fast, he had this rifle done before I knew he was building it.

I was out in the Texas hill country, I guess, a year ago. Visited a friend at Medina, south of Kerrville, toured some ranches where he was doing prescribed fire brush reduction. Even got to sit in a deer blind with him, but no deer close enough. Saw a lot of brush, though.

Uh, that would be Medina. In North Dakota we pronounced that Me dye na. Down there you call it Medeena. My friend is Keith Blair, and he has a web site,[url] www.myredbuffalo.com[/url]. (Red buffalo is a native American description of fire). On his home page you'll see "The Magic Field" which is a story I wrote about prescribed fire on a North Dakota Prairie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my GRRW Leman .54 Plains rifle since 1976. I couldn't tell you how many deer it's taken over the years.

Here's my wife with that rifle last year.

The_Huntress.JPG

Latest posts

Back