• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain swamped barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
There was some discussion last May on this subject. Has anyone used the new GM swamped barrels and do you have any report to give? I am designing a Joel Ferree .50 cal early western Pennsylvania rifle and will be sending my walnut plank down to Jack Garner at TVMfg to shape the stock from my pattern and inlet the barrel. Could have him supply and inlet a GM swamped barrel. But about two years ago I quit GM because I didn't like their quality then (nor did Neill, experienced builder here), though it was fine until then. Have used L.C.Rice and Colerain since, but don't want another Colerain. Rice barrels wonderful, made up two .40's. I ordered two straight Rice barrels 8/31/04 and haven't got them yet, though L.C. phoned me 12/31/04 and said the .50 was being shipped. Planned to use that, but just decided to build another Jacob Wigle rifle and need it for that. So any reports on GM swamped barrel quality and accuracy?

:(Yes, I have heard the complaint the swamp on GM barrels was not right. Say, when I order a GM swamped barrel, how will I know if they send me a new and improved model, or the old one??? ::

:(Yes, I have heard the complaint the swamp on GM barrels was not right. Say, when I order a GM swamped barrel, how will I know if they send me a new and improved model, or the old one??? ::

Donny,
They have been making the correct profile for over a year. If you ordered one and got a bad profile you can always send it back.

I'm out of the loop! When did GM start their 42 and 44 inch swamped barrel production. I knew they had their 38 inch barrels and where working on their other but I've never seen one. I even looked at their website and couldn't find them. Where did you get yours?

SP

I'm out of the loop! When did GM start their 42 and 44 inch swamped barrel production. I knew they had their 38 inch barrels and where working on their other but I've never seen one. I even looked at their website and couldn't find them. Where did you get yours?

SP

Slowpoke,
I called them and placed an order. They are going to have the 42" available soon.

C- Thanks, that was what I wanted to know. Nice to hear they are of good quality, it is kind of you to report on them. L. C. Rice phoned me yesterday to tell me he'd cut my barrel to 36" rather than 38" and so he'll make another one right and pronto. But he told me I could get a .50 B weight swamped barrel in about three weeks, $205 and that includes the breech plug fitted. His plugs, If I remember correctly, are bottomed within three or four thousands. I also had a swamped barrel (Colerain) in which the plug lacked .020 of being bottomed, and I sure did not like that, and the finish was nowhere near as smooth as a Rice barrel. Yesterday I got three full stock walnut blanks cut, planed from 3.5 inches down to 2.5 inches thick, two feather crotch and one straight. These are from trees planted by the first settlers in this valley, and have been cut 25 years. So hard I can't hand plane the top, have to use my inletting scraper to cut down the humps from the bandsaw. Trouble is, two are too beautiful to cover up with patchboxes, so have to save the best one back for a rifle with no patchbox, nothing in mind yet. The plain one will go for a Jacob Wigle rifle, which has a big patch box and numerous inlays. The other fancy one will be the Joel Ferree with a small patch box of silver filled alloy (.025 sterling bonded on each side of .015 nickle silver, which makes it stronger). Nice to have options on the barrel, and I'd certainly use a GM barrel, but I suppose they are about $180 or so, add $10 for the plug and then fit it, so the Rice is worth it. Thanks again for the report.

Also the Rice barrels are already laped so you don't have to shoot it in. I was just at Jim Chambers shop Thursday and seen a few Rice barrels he had there on hand and they are a real quality piece. They will be my choice on the next project.

Woody

C, do you have a phone number for the GM people or did you purchase through a dealer? What is the lead time and what is the overall cost? Also, can you drop a name for somebody to speak with?

Poke,
I recently got a swamped 44" .54 from Jack Garner (TVM on the links forum). I don't know what he has in stock now, but the 44" has been going since about last October.

Also, I have built 3 rifles with GM barrels(1 str. and 2 swamp), and bore and outside finish are super good.
My only complaint with them is that they drill the breech plug hole too deep (3/4"), and NOT ONE had the breech threads fully cut. I had to finish with a bottoming tap to get the plugs to mate with the bore.
Now, they "SEEMED" to tighten up, but transfer color and close inspection revealed the gap.

I have e-mailed them about this with no response, and they may have fixed it by now, but I get the impression that they aren't concerned about the shoddy breech threading.
Maybe that's why they go so deep?!

I love your Avatar, I think Earl's birthday was Jan. 7th.
Regards,
Terry

Thanks,
Yeah, I'm a big fan of those boys. I play the banjo when the wife's not looking, she doesn't approve of the noise and has made several "Deliverence" references. :no: Anyway, I love Rice barrels and think their the best swamped barrels on the market today. But, I'm going to order 42 and 44 from GM and see for myself. I shoot a GM barrel in my target rifle, it's always done well and would expect nothing to change in their swamped barrels. As I've state before, I hope Rice, Longhammock, Getz, and others are able to hang in there.

SP

Damn, that is a good finish. If that is as recieved mill finish I would say they are profile grinding for at least the final process, not milling.

Very good looking barrel, I have never used a GM one but will likely be having a go at one. Are GM swamped profiles the same as on the Getz and Rice barrels?

I remember Rice from the start up stating he was making the correct breeching of his barrels a top priority, and it has paid off.

As stated on another thread, I had a dust up problem with the breeching on a barrel by "another" maker. It soured me with him for keeps.

Some seem to forget when it comes to products and customer relations, one bad "Aw $!ht", can wipe out all past atta boys.

Poke,
Banjo here too,
Get the wifey a stand up bass fiddle, like I did, sos she can drown that plinky thing out.(dang near worth a good rifle though) :winking: :winking: Then play Les and Earl 24/7 till she gets
accustomatized" to it. ( It worked for the Rapshi-----T for todays kids! :curse: :p :snore:

I agree that the Rice Barrels are Top Of The Line. Still waiting for my 4 Rice barrels from LAST January's order. Any day now??? :winking:(Patience is a virtue, they say.)

"God gave you 5 fingers, (well, 4 and a thumb), The banjo has 5 strings (well, 4 and a thumbstring), Divine Intervention?

Good Swamped Barrels, a good Capo and minature railroad spikes will keep us forever!!! I think I started and ended off Topic, so I will quit now. a :nono:
Regards,
Terry

Herb,
Back on topic.
GM ARE VERY GOOD BARRELS, IF YOU FINISH THREADING THE BREECH, They also only offer square cut rifling, while Rice,Getz,and Colerain offers the round bottom rifling, If that matters.
Regards, Terry

BLAHMAN,
GM phone # is (603)-447-1095. You in all likelyhood be talking to Keri and if she don't have the answer she will put you in contact with the person that can. They are
really good people to deal with :imo:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Terry- thanks, that was just what I wanted to know. I probably have used 15 or so straight Green Mtn barrels, and I have also cut 1/4" off the back of a barrel or two with a hacksaw to shorten up that long breech plug. Just checked Track's catalog, and the flared tang plug I'd use has 5/8 length of thread. Also had to buy (make) bottoming taps to clean up those threads, and had a lot of fuss seating all those plugs. (The reason for having a breech plug about 1/2" long like L.C. Rice makes them is to position the lock closer to the end of the barrel for better lines in the wrist). The Rice barrels are the best I have used, though I've only used about 7 brands so far. Long Hammock barrels were mentioned. Jack Garner sells them as well as the Green Mt. Can anybody report on Long Hammock barrels?

Herb,

I cut the GM's breech off too.(filing required also, as you know).

Longhammock is also a super good BORED rifled barrel, inside,and the smoothies pretty slick too, but rough on the outside,(only did 3 of Riley's ).

In 30+ guns, I have built, (in approximate order of time): Numrich Arms, Douglas, Green River, Sharon, Orion, Montana, Old Green Mountain straight, Colerain, Getz, Longhammock, Ed Rayl, The new Green Mountain Swamps and L.C. Rice...EVERY ONE will shoot Where you hold IT!!
Regards,
Terry

Latest posts

Back