• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great shots on the silver screen...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some help remembering a movie :hmm: . I think it was a Davy Crockett movie staring Fess Parker. Davy went about the tavern aranging various lamps, skilets, mugs what have you. He then stepped back and fired "Ol' Betsy". The ball bounched around the tavern and then Davy jumped up in the air and caught the ball in his teeth.

Was that "Davy Crockett"? or what movie was it?

What is your favorite shot on the silver screen?

Joe

I seem to remember that scene. I think it was the movie where Davy meets Mike Fink and does in some river pirates. It was side story to the main Disney Davy Crockett movie. It's usually packaged as a seperate movie "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates" or something like that.

One of my favorites is where Charlton Heston fills up Brian Kieth's ear with his flintlock. The scene is towards the end of "The Mountain Men" but must have been filmed early before they were aware of flintlock side spray.

Joe, I guess my favorite shot would be a young Claire Trevor, firing at a buckskin shirt in the courtroom to prove that John Wayne hadn't killed his buddy...Alleghany Uprising, about 1939...Wayne played Jim Smith, the leader of the "Black Boys"..a real life character....Hank

Yes, Mike is right, it is the "River Pirates". Fun Movie, but that scene; (Mike Fink shoots a mug off his own head in a mirror, then Crockett counters with a multiple ricochet off various objects in the room) is about the worst example of unsafe firearms handling I have ever seen on film. This is probably one of the reasons you never see this on TV anymore, which is a shame. I loved this film as a kid.

Mike Fink Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRtziLzSjQ&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
We've often wondered about this one. Was it an accident, or was it an attempt at historical accuracy? Heston's knowledge of firearms was fairly comprehensive, so it may have been the latter.

I think Mr. Heston was pretty savvy on firearms. He was either president or spokesman/icon for the NRA for several years.

Joe

Lottsa good ones, but always near the top in my memory bank is the thru-the-wall shot [shotgun] taken by Robert Duvall in 'Open Range'. Ouch!

Russ T Frizzen said:
We've often wondered about this one. Was it an accident, or was it an attempt at historical accuracy? Heston's knowledge of firearms was fairly comprehensive, so it may have been the latter.

It may have been done on purpose but I don't think Brian Kieth was in on it. Many times a director will do something like that to get the reaction he wants. I doubt if they could talk him into a ratake. Anyone who has been sprayed by a flinter usually doesn't want to repeat the experience.

The Quigley bucket shot was good! There was another old western staring an older Gregory Peck,
He had a younger indian partner, Billy Two Hats or something like that, Peck and Billy tied up this old Mountain Man/ Buffaloe hunter in his cabin. They leave him tied up and start riding away across the plains. The Lawman chasing them
unties the old hunter, he takes his time and aims his old Buffler gun at the two who are miles away
but still in sight. He fires a shot and kills Peck's horse form a least a zillion miles away!

Hard to beat Sgt. York! I love that turkey call of his!

Best silver screen miss has to be Billy Bob Thornton shooting at Santa Anna. :grin:

All time best gun line: Wayne in True Grit: "Too much gun!"

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

When Billy shoots Bob Ollinger you can see where they cut to a paper cut out of Bob and you can see the hole blown clean through him.

[after firing a coachgun loaded with 10 cents coins at Deputy Bob Ollinger] Keep change, Bob!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070518/quotes

Last edited by a moderator:
And when he goes to reload he can't, and he says the first shot "sprung the breech". I've never yet met anyone who has had this happen to them--or is even sure what it means!

One of my favorite movie shots is taken by Gus McCrae (Robert Duvall) in Lonesome Dove. He's stranded on the plains, being chased by Blue Duck's banditos. He kills his horse (dumb in my opinion) to form a foxhole to hide behind. Taunted by Blue Duck's men, who are shooting (and missing) with their buffalo guns, Gus flips up the ladder sight on his lever gun and gut shoots one of the banditos.

I am kind of partial to the scene just before that where Gus shoots the young Indian charging him. The look of utter contempt for the young man's stupidity is priceless. Of course, had that been me, I probably would have missed, and had a nice war lance for a belly button piercing.

Joe Yanta said:
What is your favorite shot on the silver screen?

I still like the silk patch shot from Last of the Mohicans when they sent a runner out from the fort.

Then there is the double charge, double roundball shot taken on the movie Winterhawk to humanely dispatch a fellow trapper being tortured from the Blackfeet.

Don't you just love Hollywood? :wink: :rotf:

jbg said:
I am kind of partial to the scene just before that where Gus shoots the young Indian charging him. The look of utter contempt for the young man's stupidity is priceless. Of course, had that been me, I probably would have missed, and had a nice war lance for a belly button piercing.

One of my favorites in the same vein is at the last of "Cheyenne Autumn". An older indian challenges a younger indain because he had stole his wife. The young indian jumps on his horse and rides up to the older indian and bails off his horse and is immediatly shot down by the older indian.

As I remember there were no indians involved. The older indian was Gilbert Roland and the young one is Sal Mineo. Mineo hated that movie because John Ford cut all the scenes where he had any dialog.

I believe the movie was Geronimo, a few years back. The troops were on the move when a band of Indians showed up. The lead pony soldier, and the lead indian charged each other when the pony soldier, stopped, and pulled down his mount, laid the rifle across the steed, fired a few, hitting the indian. Once he was down, he mounted the saddle and in seconds was up and riding back.
I have seen motorcycle cops, and horse mounted cops use their transportation for crowd control. An awsome sight to see. I think this was probably the way the pony soldier was trained as well. Maybe not a great shot but some really great horsemenship

Grey Hawk

I remember that scene from "Geronimo". A great scene.

My father was in the motorcycle corps at the start of WWII. He would describe being trained to do just that. They broke up the corps after a little while and he was sent to the Alutians.

Not a Rifle shot but in Northwest Passage Walter Brennen bounced a rubber knife off an injun`s back and Kilt him dead!! Twas at least a 50yd. throw!!

Back