• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains Hunter questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danodog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, I think this is my first post. I registered a while back and can't remember if I posted. I just put a GPH on layaway through Muzzle-loaders.kom. I originally bought the .54 caliber in the right hand version. When I did research I found out that there isn't much support for lead free ammo. I live in California and all hunting ammo has to be lead free. I called the company back and changed my order to a .50 cal to get more lead free choices.

1. Will a .54 caliber replacement barrel work on my . 50 caliber GPH? In addition to hunting, I wouldn't mind plinking and or a friendly competition. Maybe I should just buy a .50 cal replacement barrel to keep the gun and barrel consistent? I guess I am torn. I think the .50 1:32 is a better choice for for finding more lead free options, but I like the idea of a larger round ball barrel in 1:60.

2. I am left eye dominant but I ordered a right hand version. I can shoot right eye, but my vision in my left is not as sharp as the right. I plan on visiting the optometrist to see what lenses can do. Right now I wear readers and my long vision is nearly perfect. Will looking over cap lock be an issue with fragments/debris?

Thanks in advance,

Dan in East San Diego County

1. yes the 54 barrel will go right on your stock.

2. I'm left-handed, shoot left-handed & all my muzzleloaders are right-handed. I've never had any problems or distractions with shootin' them. of course you should always wear shootin' glasses & long sleeves when yer on the bench don't hurt either.

We are now left with vision to address.

What you will want is readers that put the front sight in sharp focus. Its okay for the target and the rear sight to be blurred. You also want the eye protection that you get from glasses. Especially since you may be using a right hand rifle from the left shoulder. Single vision readers are best since you may not be looking through the center of the lens and bifocals or the progressive lenses will distort your focus when you shoulder a rifle and look through the sights.

You have me confused. Do you shoot right handed? Then get a right handed rifle if not get the left if it’s an option.

If you do eye dominance is not as big a deal with rifle shooting as it is with a shotgun. I’m right handed left eyed; I shot formal Olympic small bore and air rifle for many years. When I did that I always kept both eyes open and used a blinder on the rifle’s sight. Today with BP with target shooting I use glasses with a blinder on them, but for hunting I squint my left eye just before I pull the trigger; and typically will need a very slight sight correction before pulling that trigger.

Learning to shoot with both eyes open is important as our eyes work as a pair and when shutting one the open eye’s pupil will not react to the amount of light entering it as it would when both are open. Your ability of judge distance is severely impaired with only one eye in use too.

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I normally will pull the rifle to my left eye, but I can shoot with either eye. I just gravitate left. With that being said, I can work on shooting with both eyes open. I have tried in the past but I do have one eye that doesn't want to track. It isn't lazy, just doesn't want to track. :)

Thanks all for the replies, it is greatly appreciated.

My son is cross dominant like you.
If you are buying new, why are you buying a right hand rifle?
Yes, barrels will swap out with possibly minor adjustment/tuning the first time you make the fit,, this would be kitchen table fitting with common tools,, we can guide you through that process if needed.
50 fast twist and 54 target is a good idea in cali,,

I have always bought right hand versions because left hand versions were non existent or more expensive. So I guess there isn't a rational reason for not buying the left hand version since the price is identical.

I have the GPR .50 ( left handed ). Also own a lot of right handed muzzleloader's as well.

Never had a problem shooting right handed guns left handed. As long as you wear eye protection which you should anyway.

As far as your choice in .50 or .54 for a RB barrel. I would only say that either caliber is more than sufficient for hunting. If you're wanting the GPR barrel just for range shooting I'd probably go with the .50. Don't really know much about non lead balls/conicals or availability or price ranges but I would imagine that .50 would be cheaper to shoot.

If you like the idea of owning a .54 just because that's what you want, then that's what you should get! Nothing wrong with that either.

It's a personal choice and it's your choice my friend. You should have what you want.

What ever you decide I wish you good luck.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Hand Cannon said:
I have always bought right hand versions because left hand versions were non existent or more expensive. So I guess there isn't a rational reason for not buying the left hand version since the price is identical.

I'm left-handed and shoot left-handed but, I always bought right-hand rifles because that's what there was. finally broke down & bought myself a lefty Renegade a few years ago & it felt awkward and totally foreign to me so I sold it.

Let me discuss, eye glasses. I am a machinist by trade, but I worked for Johnson & Johnson in the development of CNC cut lenses. We developed the Definity lens, now owned by Essilor. They are one of the top lens makers in the world. Definity lenses are not cheap, but worth it. The coating on the Polycarbonate lenses, is harder than many other brands. The progressive lenses have a wider channel and are easier to get used to. I shoot as good or better at age 65 than I did when I was young. Part of it is due to experience, the other I credit to the quality of the lenses. Put your money in the lenses, not the frames.

Thanks for the awesome responses. I will most likely keep the right hand version in .50 and get a replacement 1:60 barrel in .50 too. I need to bite the bullet and make an appointment with an optometrist as well. Hopefully I will post some follow up photos of the rifle with some updates on my vision decisions when the layaway is paid in full.

Hey Bubba.50,

As a left handed shooter looking at right-handed rifles, did you ever have a problem with the cheekpiece being on the wrong side of the stock? Did this interfere at all with actual shooting, as in not being comfortable. etc.

Where I live it's hard to handle different models and while I would like a true left-handed rifle, a lot of my favourites are only in right hand. Any input from your experience appreciated,

Thanks.

it's never been a factor for me. like shootin' a Renegade or some other gun that don't have a cheekrest at all. I just don't even notice it one way or the other.

I just made another $200 payment. That leaves $158 and the rifle will be sent next month. I can hardly wait. I will most likely get the 1:60 twist barrel for round balls. That way I can hunt with the lead free sabots, and target shoot with the round balls. California is making it very hard these days.

hadden west said:
Let me discuss, eye glasses. I am a machinist by trade, but I worked for Johnson & Johnson in the development of CNC cut lenses. We developed the Definity lens, now owned by Essilor. They are one of the top lens makers in the world. Definity lenses are not cheap, but worth it. The coating on the Polycarbonate lenses, is harder than many other brands. The progressive lenses have a wider channel and are easier to get used to. I shoot as good or better at age 65 than I did when I was young. Part of it is due to experience, the other I credit to the quality of the lenses. Put your money in the lenses, not the frames.

+1 bigtime!!

as we were taught by the steely eyed, shaved head, bad-to-the-bone Drill Instructor:

you can't hit what you can't see!

I got the rifle today. Slightly disappointed that the hammer doesn't align with the nipple. It seems like it will still work but the hammer is very close to the inside lip. Since I am a little OCD, I am thinking about sending it to Lyman for them to fix. I have not been lucky with my last three fire arms purchases. I had to send back a Marlin Model 60 for feeding issues and I had an LR-308 with an out of spec barrel. Just my luck!

Dano

Hand Cannon said:
Sorry for the double post! I meant to add that I am not happy with the first set trigger either.

I got the rifle today. Slightly disappointed that the hammer doesn't align with the nipple. It seems like it will still work but the hammer is very close to the inside lip. The first set trigger is also very hard to pull as well.....As in very hard , almost white knuckle hard. Since I am a little OCD, I am thinking about sending it to Lyman for them to fix. I have not been lucky with my last three fire arms purchases. I had to send back a Marlin Model 60 for feeding issues and I had an LR-308 with an out of spec barrel. Just my luck!

Dano

Almost any production gun is going to need slight adjustments to be it best. This sport is a lot of DIY so don't be afraid to find out how things work. A little bit of polishing and cleanup can go a long way.

Back