• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease Hole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that stuffing grease in the stock would ruin the wood / soften it after a few yrs. Somthing only used on the most utilitarian or So Called poor boy rifles. Have an old Jaeger Circa 1830 ish, that has the wooden slide cover patch or grease box. It still has some grease in it in the corners. Wood still solid. And the grease /wax actually keeps the lid from sliding off without force. An open hole with grease may be fine for some , but not where I use my rifles . I would think about a wooden cover myself. For some folks it may be just the ticket. ,,,DT

wpjson said:
I wasn't a big fan of the grease hole in this rifle. Discovered a penny fit nicely. May not be period correct, but I like it.
90psmb.jpg

I'm with you! Looks great.

Wish I'd thought of it before parting with the rifle. Everything else about the rifle was better than fine.

One thing I have always wondered about them is how they kept the grease in it on a really hot day. It is hot enough where I am at in PA during the summers, I would think in many parts of the country the grease would have just melted out in short order.

Well, it sounds like they are pc. What makes sense to us- such as softening the wood, etc. might not have made a difference at the time. Since it is a pc feature on some guns I guess such a thing ought to be there. What I'm thinking, is for hunting, maybe just stick some tape over the opening to keep dirt out.

A good Idea. Another would be a wooden flange plug that fits semi tight and when removed has some grease on it to use. The Wax/Grease on the sliding lid is a plus for holding it there. And the wood is still hard after all these yrs.,,DT

BrownBear said:
colorado clyde said:
...it really depends on the type of grease you use.

And how much you're out in the bushes and rough country.

Dandy for casual walks and range popping, but totally impractical with any grease for hunters in the rough stuff.

I don't have one, but they were apparently somewhat popular with Southern rifles...which were used to fill the pot. Under the impression that some grease is better than no grease.

I imagine dust wasn't as prevalent back then as it is now, but I don't know. Walking through the woods where I grew up wasn't busting brush or stirring up a lot of dust.

Yep! different strokes for people in different places....
As a side note; The forum timeline cut off is 1865..It's rule #1.....The funny thing is that, Alaska wasn't even purchased by the United Sates until 1867..... :shocked2: :haha: It's almost like we shouldn't even talk about Alaska..... :hmm: :rotf:

What are you talking about? When states came into the Union, what does it have to do with grease holes.

Michael

One way to keep the grease clean is to cut a patch and press it down on the grease and it'll stay stuck there until you need it to reload your gun, after you reload put a new patch on your grease.

Joe the two old gents that taught me about flintlocks way back when I was just a spud did that very thing to there grease in the greaseholes an it seemed to work fine. They had originals southern iron mounted guns. At the time I did not know what a treasure I was holding in my hands :idunno:

colorado clyde said:
As a side note; The forum timeline cut off is 1865..It's rule #1.....The funny thing is that, Alaska wasn't even purchased by the United Sates until 1867..... :shocked2: :haha: It's almost like we shouldn't even talk about Alaska..... :hmm: :rotf:

I don't care where your from. If you want to "cut off" someone please take a look at yourself.

longrifle78 said:
One way to keep the grease clean is to cut a patch and press it down on the grease and it'll stay stuck there until you need it to reload your gun, after you reload put a new patch on your grease.
You are exactly right.... :thumbsup:
Nice to hear from people that actually use a grease hole.

CO Elkeater said:
colorado clyde said:

I don't care where your from. If you want to "cut off" someone please take a look at yourself.
It was a joke,( that meant nothing about "cutting anyone off") I thought that would have been evident by the laughing icons and the word "FUNNY".
Sorry you didn't "get it" or understand it, especially since I wasn't talking to you.
Next time I'll be sure to preface my jokes with the words, "THIS IS A JOKE" for your benefit.

Dusty Texian said:
I always thought that stuffing grease in the stock would ruin the wood / soften it after a few yrs. Somthing only used on the most utilitarian or So Called poor boy rifles. Have an old Jaeger Circa 1830 ish, that has the wooden slide cover patch or grease box. It still has some grease in it in the corners. Wood still solid. And the grease /wax actually keeps the lid from sliding off without force. An open hole with grease may be fine for some , but not where I use my rifles . I would think about a wooden cover myself. For some folks it may be just the ticket. ,,,DT

Depends on the type of grease in question, I suspect...Petroleum-based greases might do that. Lard and tallow have been used on wood as a preservative or lubrication since forever, so I don't think that they would harm the stock.

Elnathan said:
Dusty Texian said:

Depends on the type of grease in question, I suspect...Petroleum-based greases might do that. Lard and tallow have been used on wood as a preservative or lubrication since forever, so I don't think that they would harm the stock.
Has anyone defined the term "grease" as it was used in the 18th century, for this particular application? I'm guessing something other than the petro-based grease we think of today? It could have been rather harder (higher melting point) than we think of "grease" today? (bee's wax-linseed oil mixture, etc.?)

Back