• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Shoot Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntAway

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It has stopped raining for a bit so I got out first thing this morning. I drove out to where I shoot and managed to get three shots off before the blackflies and mosquitoes start to feast on me. I really want to shoot today so I drive home and take a bath in some bug juice and return to spot. Take bite of 98% DEET you little buggers. Now with the bug problem solved I get down to some shooting.

In my first target the first 3 shots are from 13 yds. I then adjusted the sights and backed the target off to 50 yds and fired for effect. I noticed that I was consistently right so I drifted my rear sight to the left a hair and set up a new target. The first 3 shots there are in the bull and the last 2 just outside.

I was having issues with the set trigger on the first target. I would cock the hammer, "set" the rear trigger, line up on target and squeeze the front trigger. All I would get would be click and the hammer would fall to half cock. This would happen two or three times. When I shot the second target, I used the front trigger only as that click was playing havock on my pysche and groupings.

Anyone have any thoughts on this set trigger buisiness? I tried adjusting the set screw after I finished cleaning it, but it had no effect on the hammer as it still fell to 1/2 cock only.???

All shots were with 75 gr 3F Goex (charge and prime), .495 ball w/ walmart blue stripe pillow tick, lubed with Moose Milk lube. Point of aim was the bottom of the bull. Shooting off a bench.

108-0860_IMG.jpg

108-0859_IMG.jpg

Sounds like your lock is missing the " Fly " in the tumbler that helps the sear pass over the half cock notch. Or, the " fly " may be put in backwards. Take the lock out of the gun, and have a look. One way or another, the hammer should not fall into the half cock notch when you pull the main trigger after it is set.

There could also be possible interference from the trigger assembly with the "fly " or with the sear bar. I would test one part after another, using dye to mark potential contact points, to discover the source of this problem. Check that sear bar spring, as it should be touching the sear way up high , and not down away from the "elbow ". If you remove the mainspring, the the sear bar should be very light to move up and down, because the sear spring is only there to nudge the sear down with the help of gravity.

Is there another tiny screw on this assembly that adjust the backlash? which affects the operation of the set rigger memory fails me but something of this sort sorta comes to mind? or maybe that was on the WRW Cumberland I had...

Hunt,
I'm sure that someone with more experience with the GPR will chime in here but it sounds to me like you need to pull that lock and take a close look at the fly in the tumbler. Just in case you are thinking "What the dickens is he talking about?", the fly is a small metal part that is pinned into the halfcock notch of the tumbler and can move back and forth. It moves out of the way when the hammer is pulled back so that the halfcock can be used. On firing it swings into a position to block the halfcock notch and prevents the sort of problem you are describing. Sorry I can't describe it any better. Like I said, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Storm

Thanks guy's!!!

It worked fine a few weeks ago the last time I was out.

I'm looking at the lock and I think I see the fly dangling like a six year olds tooth that just doesn't want to come out. Wobbly that is when the hammer is at full cock. At 1/2 cock it folds up and in. And when the hammer is fully forward you can't see it at all.
108-0861_IMG.jpg

108-0862_IMG.jpg

108-0863_IMG.jpg

Well I changed out the lock in my GPR and put in one from a Deerstalker and it worked fine. Something amiss with the GPR lock I fear.

Yep, that sounds like the fly. Cock the hammer, retard its fall with your fingers, and trip the sear. You may be able to see if the fly is doing its job. Try cleaning the lock and lubing it. Also, take a look at the set triggers. Do they have a screw that adjusts spring tension on the rear trigger? If so, max it out. Since the rifle worked the last time you shot it think about what may have changed, or been changed, between then and now.

Storm

The GPR lock works fine in the Deerstalker and the Deerstalker lock works fine in the GPR???????
Maybe I mixed them up and just a slight difference between the two through a monkey into the works. :surrender:

Thanks for all of your advice.

Back