• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR in .54 vs T/C Hawken with GM barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh9

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So at this point I own a T/C Renegade in .54. I have enjoyed shooting it a lot, but would like something with a longer and slower twist barrel. I read great reviews on the GPR, but was wondering if a T/C Hawken with a .54 Green Mnt. barrel with a 1/66 twist would perform as well or better. I just shoot patched balls. Pros and cons on this comparison?

Truth?
I have a GM 54 mounted on an Investarms Renegade knock-off and it is a fine shooting barrel on that stock.
But,
It's all about fit of the stock to the individual.
A GPR doesn't fit me for HOOT! I can't fit it in the shoulder proper, the cheek is wrong,, those GPR are just plain uncomfortable for me.
Likewise, the T/C Hawken won't fit me,, I can shoulder just fine but those Hawkens are cheek slappers. If I spend a day shooting one of those I wake up the next morning feeling like I got in a bar fight with a south-paw!!

So, long story short both barrels make fine slow twist ball shooters when you spend the time working out the load details,, don't you worry about that 32" barrel. Some of my stiffest Rendezvous shootin competition is from GPR owners.
Ya need to find a GPR and handle it, shoulder it, shoot it if ya can,,

DDH said:
I read great reviews on the GPR, but was wondering if a T/C Hawken with a .54 Green Mnt. barrel with a 1/66 twist would perform as well or better.

My principal shooting pard shoots the GM 54 and I shoot a GPR 54. If there's a difference between them, it reflects mostly which shooter is up for the day and which is down. Loser always buys coffee, and it's been a dead heat between us for years. Group sizes? Never really compared them. But all signs point to very similar groups.

I own both, my GPR is .50 flint converted to percussion, my Renegade is .54 cap and I also have the GM .54 slow twist barrel for it. I honestly would not worry about a slow twist for your Renegade as they shoot prb just fine as is. The longer barrel makes the balance weird. The GPR is my favorite but just because its light to carry and I basically built it myself. The Re egade kicks the least.
Walk

My favorite caplock is a GPR .50,its is a 1-32 fast twist and shoots under 2" at 50 most of the time with patched ball. .my 54 GPR is the slow twist and shoots similar.i had a 1-66 GM on a TC hawken for a bit and it grouped similar

classic case of "six of one, half dozen of the other." both are excellent choices so, as necchi says, get the one that fits you best.

bubba.50 said:
...get the one that fits you best.

That's probably the most critical point. I'm shooting a GPR because the scope-high comb on the TC Hawken stock is like jackhammer on my prominent cheekbones, yet the extra drop in the GPR stock turns it into a maiden's kiss for recoil. My pard shoots the TC because he just can't get the GPR stock held in the right spot on his weasel face.... Oh, that should tell you he won the last shooting round! :rotf:

As some of the others, I too have both. Have a TC Hawken with the GM drop in barrel and also a couple of GPR’s. All have Davis DeerSlayer triggers as well. Both rifle’s fit me well. Haven’t really noticed an accuracy difference between the two muzzleloader’s. With that being said, like has already been mentioned, I’d shoulder both and see what’s more comfortable to you. My GPR’s I set the butt stock between my upper bicep and shoulder socket. The TC Hawken I shoulder as normal the same way you would if you were shooting a modern rifle.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Back