• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR fullstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK so i am pondering turning my GPR into a fullstock rifle......i looked on track and t he fullstocks say for percussion...is there any reason i wouldnt be able to put a flinter into it ...and if not would i ahveto modify the stock? I looked at my stock and it looks as if they are both the same regardless of lock type .....can someone fill me in please?

Mine is a flinter too, and I have thought about putting it into a full stock, but keep having other expenses that are higher priority pop up. Would love to know why it wouldn't work though as I always thought that the locks were interchangeable, which means that the lock mortise would be too. Or maybe I'm forgetting something?

Best thing to do is call Track and ask them. They are very helpful folks and can tell you why a flinter will not fit their stock or possibly how to make it fit.

Don't overlook Pecatonica also; Have restocked two with their blanks and LOVED THEM!!
Not flinters mind you just two Hawkins....

I just reviewed the two maple Lyman, Investarms/GPR Replacements stocks available at Track of the Wolf and found no mention of Perc or Flint lock designation, what they do say is this;
"Lock panels are shaped and inlet for your Invest Arms factory lock."

From what I know, it's what Wattsy said and Track get's these stocks from Pecitonica anyways.

FYI, these are not simply "drop in" stocks, they do take a significant amount of work to get the factory parts to fit and stock shaping to get them in shootable condition.

Look for current threads by "Archie" in this section, the local man is doing work to one of these full stock replacements with T/C parts,

I don't have a GPR flinter but if the lock is built like most of the other flintlocks available there is one thing that may have to be done to the stock to install the lock.
This assumes the stock is cut for a percussion lock.

The flintlock's cocks barrel side overlaps the outside face of the lock plate so about half of it extends over the lockplate towards the barrel.

The lower area of the inner surface of the cock is machined away so it can mount on the square drive of the tumbler.
Unlike a percussion hammer, this inner face cut stops about half way up leaving a shoulder.
This shoulder and the overlapping material above it stops against the top of the lockplate when the cock is in the fired position. This stops its forward/downward travel when the lock is fired.

Because the hammer on a percussion lock does not overlap the top of the lockplate like a flintlock the percussion lock face is flush with the lock panel all around the outside of the lock.

If a flintlock with the overlapping cock is installed, the cocks shoulder at the top of the lockplate will interfere with the wood when the cock is in the fired position.

To keep this from happening, the wood that interferes must be removed.
As a sidenote, the absence of this missing wood on a old percussion gun is a good indication that the gun was converted from a flintlock.

Removing the wood isn't a big thing as long as the builder limits the wood removal to only the wood that would interfere with the cock.

nechi if you click on the last picture ...#8 it gives you specs on the stock and in the information it states percussion...but after reading zonies post i think its fairly doable with the flinter too.... i have a dremel , files and sand paper what other tools might i need to complete one of these stocks?

The stock I am working on is from Track of the Wolf for the T/C renegade/hawken parts set. From what I have read the lock plates for both t/c and lyman percussion and flint are the same basic shape. That is both flint and percussion will fit in the lock mortise in the upgrade stock. I have added some links to the L&R replacement locks for the Lyman flint and perc locks. This should give you an idea how close the two locks compare in size and shape. The T/C breech plugs for both flint and percussion are the same dimension except for the "snail" for the percussion. I do not know for sure about Lyman.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/759/1/LOCK-LR-05-F
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/794/1/LOCK-LR-05-C

However, looking at the specs on the TOW site for the upgrade stock it does not say anywhere about either style of ignition system.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/906/1/STK-IAF-15-M3

If all else fails, call TOW and ask them. I know they are happy to help.
763-633-2500

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I had been smart enough to ask more questions, but last winter I got to handle a GPR flinter that the guy had restocked with a top grade maple stock from Track. He's a pretty fair hand with wood, but if it had been troublesome I think he would have spoken up. The results were so good I was droolin too much to ask sensible questions.

Bryon said:
picture number 9...read the details
Oh, finally found it. I wouldn't sweat it.
In all the listings of all the pages it says;
"Investarms Lock" several times, and in one place it says percussion,,
Call Track or Pecitonica and ask,, or email them if you can't call, you'll get the right answer from the folks that sell the item.

I just converted a stock from percussion to flint. It was an Investarm stock originaly in percussion. I installed a deerstalker Flint lock, also made by investarm.
You need to do a small amount of wood removal behind the lock plate. The wood between the barrel and the lock has to be removed so the barrel sits tight to the lock. 10 to 15 minutes does it with a chisel.
it is pretty straight forward.
You will also need to remove a few other slivers here and there because you are moving the lock in closer to the barrel.
All in all it is a simple task requiring little skill and tools. I did mine with a 1/4" chisel.

Ok, there it is.
I would immediately stop all consideration of starting the project. The evidence is overwhelming that the stock is not suitable for a flintlock. Have you considered converting your gun to percussion?
Or, just don't buy the one in view 9. Looks like all the others will work just fine or they would specifically say they are not suitable for flintlocks.
Or better yet, you could call Pecitonica (815)968-1995 or Track Of The Wolf (763)633-2500 and ask them. Have you called either of them yet?

Unless things have changed, as of a couple years ago, per Pecatonica, they supply many stocks to TOW but not the GPR stock. Personally, I was looking for an aftermarket halfstock for my GPR.

Back