• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the permalyn lid off, First coat of finish on!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dumb question, how do I get the inner lid off the permalyn sealer can? I’m assuming it’s like a paint can lid? But there isn’t enough space to grab onto it.

IMG_0736.jpeg

I think that is a shipping lid. Drive a flat screwdriver blade through lid then pry lid up and discard. The other lid is for typical use.

As an alternate, use a screwdriver and punch a couple of hole to pour from, leaving the lid in place. This approach minimizes open top surface area. But ultimately, just poke, punch and discard.
Awesome, thanks! Got it!

Interesting, the wood darkened up quite a bit as the finish dried. Its almost a deep chocolate. Suppose there is no way to lighten it at this point. Bit darker than I had hoped for, guess I will know for the next time. Or will retain that original color when the finish was first applied as the finish builds up with additional coats?

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Why not stain and finish the inside of the patch box and under the butt plate to prevent excess moisture absorption?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I plan to put a coat of finish in the inlets and what not but according to Kibler iron nitrate can cause rust problems on the metal parts if used in the inlets. He also noted that originals were not stained in the inlets or areas not seen.

Why not stain and finish the inside of the patch box and under the butt plate to prevent excess moisture absorption?
Stain isn't generally applied to the inlets because the aqua fortis that most people used on the originals, and yet today, will rust metal things when in long contact with that type of stain. Best to just apply some finish to those areas.

Got the second and third coats of permalyn sealer on today. I was concerned after that first coat dried so dark. Its still dark, but does look very nice.
Here are a couple pics after the third coat this evening in the evening sun. Thinking maybe one or two more coats?

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

That's looking very nice!

Will there be an oil or varnish as a topcoat, or is Permalyn the final product? (I'm clearly unfamiliar with it.) If so, you might notice a "lightening" effect by the amber tint or an increase in reflectivity/gloss. Sometimes an oil finish will act as a solvent and lift some of the darkness as you rub it in & wipe off the excess.

Again, I am not familiar with Permalyn...yet.

To help keep the remaining finish from hardening in the can, I typically take a deepish breath, hold it for a bit, then exhale into the container (without spitting!), then immediately slap the lid on it. I do this with all reactive finishes except latex paint.

The idea is that reactive finishes react with the oxygen in the air and transform into a new substance that is solid and resistant even to its own original solvent.

By exhaling into the container, one drives out the ambient atmosphere with its oxygen and replaces it with carbon dioxide. CO2 is inert and won't let go of any oxygen for the finish to react with. Even if you couldn't fill the can with your exhalation, CO2 is heavier than the N-O-and other stuff too-atmosphere and lays on top of the liquid like a blanket, shielding it from reaction.

Since I started doing this, I have oils and poly and paints that are up to a decade old and don't even have that rubbery or solid "disk" of hardened finish on top when I open the container.

I'll be looking forward to your range report!

That's looking very nice!

Will there be an oil or varnish as a topcoat, or is Permalyn the final product? (I'm clearly unfamiliar with it.) If so, you might notice a "lightening" effect by the amber tint or an increase in reflectivity/gloss. Sometimes an oil finish will act as a solvent and lift some of the darkness as you rub it in & wipe off the excess.

Again, I am not familiar with Permalyn...yet.

To help keep the remaining finish from hardening in the can, I typically take a deepish breath, hold it for a bit, then exhale into the container (without spitting!), then immediately slap the lid on it. I do this with all reactive finishes except latex paint.

The idea is that reactive finishes react with the oxygen in the air and transform into a new substance that is solid and resistant even to its own original solvent.

By exhaling into the container, one drives out the ambient atmosphere with its oxygen and replaces it with carbon dioxide. CO2 is inert and won't let go of any oxygen for the finish to react with. Even if you couldn't fill the can with your exhalation, CO2 is heavier than the N-O-and other stuff too-atmosphere and lays on top of the liquid like a blanket, shielding it from reaction.

Since I started doing this, I have oils and poly and paints that are up to a decade old and don't even have that rubbery or solid "disk" of hardened finish on top when I open the container.

I'll be looking forward to your range report!
I'm just following what Jim said in his video demonstrating the finishing process on a woodsrunner. According to him Permalyn Sealer can be used as the final finish. I guess its the same as the Permalyn Finish, just thinner. I'm totally new to this, so just following his suggestions in the videos.

Latest posts

Back