• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my young eyes back!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonKenton

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got the Merit Sight Disc delivered and did a preliminary sighting. With the disc swung out of view I can't get both sights clear to save my life. With the disc in place I can see both sights AND the target like I did when I was 18! Even if I don't use this thing to hunt with I can at least get my custom flinter sighted in proper. In the field I focus more on the target and front sight anyway and let the rear stay a mite fuzzy. Maybe if I can open the iris a bit I CAN use it in the field when I can take a steady rest and line it up?

-Ray :thumbsup:

Is that the thing that goes on your glasses?

This is what I'm using on my underhammer.

DSC02967_web.jpg

Clutch

Clutch,

Yep. That's the one. I had doubts about the idea but after I saw my sights AND target in clear focus for the first time in about 15 years I was psyched! I was set to give up on muzzleloading AND my late uncle's 1940 vintage M92 Winchester (.32 WinSpcl) and start looking at bolt actions with scopes again. I like them and I shoot them, but my first loyalty gun-wise is old-timey flinters, caplocks and lever guns. Now I'm looking into a Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle in .45-70!

-Ray

simon. If you have a .32 Win. Spl. its a Model 94, and not the shorter Model 92. The Model 92 was designed for short cartridges, and can handle something up to the length of a .44 Mag. casing, but nothing much longer. The .32 Win. Spl. is a .30-30 on steroids. I know. I have a 1916 vintage Model 94, Take down in .32 Win. Spl., with full octagon barrel, and full magazine. Its a fine rifle, but a peep sight would help my eyes with it.

.32 special in a Winchester lever gun would be in a Mod. 94, if a .32 in a Mod. 92, would likely be a .32-20, or a Mod. 73.

I meant 94. It seems like a rimmed 8mm. That thang will anchor a deer from a steady rest to about 150 yards and rock a black bear's world at up to 100 with the heavier bullets! I had never shot a lever centerfire till I shot Uncle Pedro's old gun a couple of years ago. I made the mistake of grabbing the barrel forward of the stock AFTER I put a full magazine through it rapid fire. Roasted the web of my hand but good. :cursing:

-Ray

Sime,

Where did you get the Merit disc? And how does it attach to your glasses? After years of shooting scoped rifles I didn't ralize my eayes were changing.Now precision work with my M/L is a bit fuzzy. :hmm:

I like open sights for shooting offhand or at larger targets but have considered going to aperature sights while shooting at targets off the bench. GW

Winchester brought out the .32 Win. Spl. because so many shooters who owned and shot single shot Winchesters using the .32-40 cartridge, wanted a repeating rifle that would allow them to continue to shoot their favorite bullets( cast). Winchester accomodated them by expanding the .30-30 to .32 caliber, and then changed the Rate of Twist from 1:10, to 1:16 to handle the cast lead bullets. The new caliber, and cartridge, and gun were truly different, with different ballistics characteristics, mainly due to the available bullets and powder of the time( 1895). The larger .32 caliber could shoot 170 grain and heavier bullets than the .30-30, but the .30-30 handled the lighter, 150 grain bullet at higher velocities , and flatter trajectory. Both calibers had a place for hunters at the time, while time, Expanding jacketed bullets, and a greater range of powders has since eliminated most of the performance difference between the two calibers.

Does the Merit sight disk (suction cup on glasses) really work that well? My vision is pretty good just slightly fuzzy but would love to bring it in crisp again. At a rating of 1 to 10 how would you rate it?

Today I checked out Lyman (The Great Plains Rifle maker), and they have a similar sight much cheaper than the Merit. What's the word on their product? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back