• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goodbye to Navy Arms Percussion Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprevolver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I don’t know whether anyone else has noticed but lately there have been many very collectable percussion revolvers on the auction sights. This is probably because of the current “recession”. There are several NIB Navy Arms which is no longer in the percussion revolver business. These are most definitely destined to become collectable because there are more than one market for these guns; the shooters, the Navy Arms collectors, and the percussion revolver collectors. There are many Navy Arms productions that are already valuable.

In reviewing the early Navy Arms productions I have been reminded of some of the very rare varieties they have offered for sale. There are some of these that in fifteen years of research I have never seen.

1. Paterson revolvers with 6” and 12” barrels made by Uberti without loading lever
2. 1860 Army Target Model with full length rib on top of barrel
3. 1861 Navy Target Model with full length rib on top of barrel
4. Engraved models ”“ Navy Arms has offered a few of their revolvers with “A”, “B”, & “C” level of engraving. RPRCA has only one of these with “B” engraving on a Remington New Model Army.

. may 12 / 21:10

keep looking.. dixie gun works is currently selling brand new navy arms models:

remington new model army target $260
remington new model army $320
remington new model army stainless $325
colt 1860 army $225

on their website, these and many 'cowboy' sa, plus 1800's rifles, and 5 types of parker-hale are all listed (at big $$$):

1805 Harper's Ferry Pistol
LePage Pistol
Kentucky Pistol

... i don't think they're going away anytime soon.

also, i just got the latest newsletter which says they also own/run gibbs rifle company (military collectibles) and old western scrounger (obsolete ammunition supplier)

my regret is that they don't make a lemat anymore and seem to have sold out of the brass 1860 rebel sheriff revolvers.. times change; so have they.

i sent them an email once and got a reply in 1 day... maybe they could help you find one of those items you're looking for...

~d~

I have been in touch with Val Forgett Jr on several occasions. Navy Arms, as I stated, is no longer in the PERCUSSION REVOLVER business. They have not imported any for around two years. Many Distributors have old inventory that they are selling. These are not marked Navy Arms and are more than likely Piettas in Navy Arms boxes. The revolvers I listed have not been imported for many years so I doubt if Val Jr. would know where to find them.

You will not find any percussion revolvers on Navy Arms current web site. They are going in a new direction.

Navy Arms did import some very intersting interpretations of the cap 'n ball theme. I agree that some of their line of percussion revolvers is definitely destined to have collector value above and beyond the run of the mill value on "pre owned" percussion revolvers generally.

I know I'd be inclined to be willing to pay the price for one those old target model 1860's. I'd also be inclined to shoot it, rather than keep it unshot in a box in my gun locker.

Probably best for all those real collectors out there if I never come across one.....

Its none of my buisness, really, but I wonder why Val Forgett, Jr. has decided to move Navy Arms in a new direction away from imported replica percussion revolvers?

I guess the obvious answer is that there isn't any money in them, anymore. But with the popularity of CAS, it would seem like there's a market for them still. Maybe the popularity of CAS has peaked, too?

-JP

When you look around the shooting craze for black powder percussion revolvers is past. There are few manufacturers still in the business; Pietta, Uberti, Euroarms, Pedersoli, and Feinwerkbau. Pietta makes the most different models. Euroarms only produces the Rogers & Spencer and the Remington New Model Army is several different configurations. Uberti has dropped many models they produced in the past, ie, Paterson. Both Pedersoli and Feinwerkbau are high end competition Remington New Model Army revolvers.

This is good for the collector because with no more production of certain manufacturers, models, etc. value goes up. There are certain production replicas that are already above the $3,000-$4000 mark.

In the early years of production the manufacturers would mark the guns with the distributor's markings or logo. This was discontined several years ago making these collectable. The only distributor that is able to get their guns marked is Cimarron, and that is not consistant.

So what would a cased set that included an unfired 5.5 inch barreled Remington New Army, flask and double cavity mould (one RB, one conicle) w/ the Barrel marked Navy Arms, Bogota NJ, USA be worth?

You wouldnt believe what I got it for.......less than 70 bucks

remington01.jpg

Look under the loading lever. Is there the initials "GU"? These initials were found on the very early guns by Navy Arms. They already will bring a premium. The Bogota NJ address also brings a premium. If I were selling the set you have I would be asking over $500.

Just saw another posting where you said the Remingtom New Model Army was a Pietta. Are you sure of this. Pietta didn't come on the replica scene until 1964-65. Any Navy Arms with the Bogota NJ address were made by Uberti.

bprevolver said:
...Just saw another posting where you said the Remingtom New Model Army was a Pietta. Are you sure of this. Pietta didn't come on the replica scene until 1964-65. Any Navy Arms with the Bogota NJ address were made by Uberti.

Actually, it was other posters that claimed it was a Pietta. I questioned the claim from the get go since the date code indicated that it was proofed in 1960 and Pietta's own web site indicated the 64-65 date. This coincides w/ your info.

Thanks for putting a value on it for me, I was pretty sure that it was worth more than the 66.00 I payed for it ( three guns for 200.00) :rotf:

Now I was curious if the fact that it seems unfired increases its value any...I am reluctant to fire it if it is unfired...but the truth is I have never owned a collectible gun in my life and will probably end up selling it

COD

Hmmm...maybe this isn't so bad for me "Honey...can I have some money....I need to buy a new Paterson...this Navy Arms one isn't available anymore and it may be worth something one day"

I have a cased set of a Navy Arms Patterson, 36 Caliber Percussion With Two Barrels (7 1/2" & 9") , two cylinders. Very nice engraving on the cylinders, Gun Is 95% Overall And uncludes double cavity mold, ramrod,and other Accessories. I believe it has never been fired.

It's too bad guns like this aren't offered anymore.

I drove out to the Martinsburg, WVA store when they first opened. Not a whole lot, mostly surplus and a small place, at that. There was a large, long building housing the Parker Hale machinery which I'm not sure ever got off the ground. I've heard there was some sort of family dispute and the current Navy Arms is the result. Bears little relation to the old company. Speaking of old, they trade as Old Western Scrounger and I think they must gave bought the name since all they seem to offer out of the WVA site appears to be leftover odd parts. Sad, that. My first guns came from NA.

I have a Navy Arms SxS percussion 12 gauge from the '70s. A little bit nicer than Pedersoli, I think. The checkering is by hand. Cost me used less than a new Pedersoli about $600 in exc condition. I don't know who made it, Navy Arms imported it.

bprevolver - you mention that "there are certain production replicas already above the $3,000 - $4,000 mark".

Could you please name any? This seems extraordinary to me. I'm NOT saying you're fooling. Rather, I'm just very curious.

Many Thanks

I can tell you this. I bought a pair of Uberti Patersons from a local gun shop,one with a loading lever and one without. He made me what I believed to be a great deal @ $450.00 for both. I recently sold the one without loading lever for $900.00 and the guy snapped it up. A collector in Missouri who purchased it for someone else and probably for profit.........

There are several guns that I see on gun broker that go for a heck of a lot more than I would have guessed. I guess the fact that I'm there looking for a deal makes it more of a mystery!.
Geo. T.

Man oh Man! That sounds fantastic. Wonderfully fantastic, to be sure.

Looks like I fell head over heels with these things a bit late. But then again, nah, I just want to shoot the lovely beasts.

Still, turning a profit like that can PAY for a lot of these lovely beasts!

To me, it really is an amazing thing. I mean, I've got my fingers in a coupla semi-high end firearm pies, and it seems EVERYONE is looking to find gold in them, but it's a tough game.

Whodathunk a sizeable profit is quietly being made meanwhile in REPLICA cap & ball revolvers?

There's a lesson here.......

What makes the Navy Arms revolvers so special? Wern't they just an importer, like Replica Arms?

Yes, they were just an importer.

They did usually try to select their guns from the better companies so the chance of finding a Navy Arms pistol from Palmetto would be nil.

Back